How do I watch a DVD?

kieren

I am running Mandrake 9.2 and have a LiteOn DVDRW LDW-451S. I have tried using MPlayer, Totem, Xine and Xmovie, but none of them want to play a DVD in the drive. I can read data files no probs, but when it comes to watching movies with the players they either lock up or do nothing at all. I have tried mounting the device under:

/mnt/cdrom

/mnt/dvd

/dev/cdrom

/dev/dvd

but none seem to make much difference.

Any suggestions please? What am I doing wrong?

Ah, thanks. Where can I get these from please?

Bearing in mind I am extremely Linux illiterate, what are the PLF and Texstar rpms, where can I find them and what do they do?

Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to Linux and all this is still quite foreign to me. I am hoping to eventually replace my Win2K desktop with Mandrake, but first I will need to be confident that I won't lost any functionality.

an rpm is like an installer exe in windows, the PLF and Texstar refer to their makers - Texstar makes rpms for use in mandrake out of the bare source code the programmer has written.

We have some of their rpms on our site, have a peek here: http://mandrakeusers.com

welcome to linux!

edit: in particular, look here: http://mandrakeusers.com/PLF/mandrake/9.2/i586/

Edited by fissy

Thanks for the welcomes guys :D

I just had a quick look at your site aRTee, and it looks like a great resource for a Linux novice like me. I have bookmarked it for more careful studying later when I have more time. I ultimately would like to know enough about LInux to convince my Dad I can port him across too, as seamlessly as possible, and it looks like a good site to point him to.

Make sure you can handle the most important things:

creation of user account,

backup to cd of user data,

configuration of webinterface, X, etc...

Then set up a box that your dad can work with, but you can do maintenance on. I maintain my wife's machine. Never any problem, just keeps working.