distro for person with no linux knowledge

Does he want to learn Linux or have his hand held?  Are you pushing him to Linux or is it something he wants to do to compare between the other os?

he just wants to use the computer. Yes, I pushed and tortured him, till he wanted to use linux. Kidding he !!! :). No, he just saw linux on my computer and I tried a knoppix-cd on his pc and he wats to try it himself.

He just wants to test it. He also is the person in house who has to keep the pc working and he doesn"'t want to do that anymore. They have some problems with internet explorer now. It won't start anymore a s anormal user. They are using it as superuser now and one eprson in the house seems to use mozilla since I installed it :). He even wants to delete his accont on windows, but I 'll suppose to wait with that.

I thiunk the success of linux for him will depend greatly on being able to use the internet. He uses an asus usb adsl modem. I found a project that provides a driver for it. Since I'm tryign to buidl rpm's, I may even build an rpm for it if I get it working. Ofcourse he wants to use messenger. I first wantedt to install kmess, but I'll probably in install kopete now, since it seems to integrate better...I'll see. He will want to have audio and video capabilitiew with messenger. I may can convicne him using gnomemeeting or konference or so. I'll have to see. Ofcourse games and writing reports are also important.

Since he uses hotmail, I may install the httpmail gateway for him if I have time.

You noticed probably I'll let him use kde. He saw gnoem with me, but I'll first let him use kde I think and afterwards if he wants to try I'll setup gnome for him.

You see, I think he is quite a normal user :).

ooh yeah, he knows he can't use native audio and video with linux. He also knows he cant use windows games under linux, except for the ones supported by wine ... He isn't a game-freak really, so that isn't really a problem. What I really hope is that teh dmix plugin of alsa works ...

I'll also set him up the repsoitories for software, ... He wants to learn linux, but not really CLI-thinsg I think. I'll set his system up and if you want I can report back for the ones interested :) and what I did/forgo to do...maybe this is interesting if people wrote this down ...

You know.. I am somewhat surprised that he cannot use native audio and video in linux. What does it mean really? Is it that there is no audio coming out or something else?

In any case, if you want to ease your friend into linux as well as try whether your friend's hardware is supported, yes.. pclinuxos would be a great choice.

He wants to learn linux, but not really CLI-thinsg I think.

Then forget it! It'll have to be done soon or later. He'll be calling you constantly for the same things because he won't remember, because he doesn't want to.....and doesn't think he should have to. No cli=win.

Then forget it! It'll have to be done soon or later. He'll be calling you constantly for the same things because he won't remember, because he doesn't want to.....and doesn't think he should have to. No cli=win.

:lol2:

Yeah, that kind of takes the "learning Linux" out of the equation.

I think using linux and its software without going into cli is doable as long as everything is already setup the way he/she wants it (and no messing around like installing /updating new software).

But to truly "learn" linux, yeah.. going into cli is a must. There lies the power and the flexibility of linux. Not to mention, it is where the last-line-of-defense (where to fix things when all other gui fails) is located.

I mean with no audio/video ...no audio/video for messenger ....

It's the first one where I install linux, I'll see if he needs me. He just wants to use the system as far as I know... I'll let you know when it is going to annoy me ... if that happens :D.

Thanks for the advise all. I won't wait for 10.0. I'll use 9.2 though. I suppose a lot of bugs are now out of 9.2. I'll also let you kbnow id I get his modm running for the interested ones :).

About the no-cli thing -- this is from the people who have slight memories of DOS.

Take into account the following: to make gestures (GUI) is more low level communication than to verbally express oneself (CLI).

Therefore, the CLI is a higher level interface than the GUI.

Bring on the flames... :P