zSNES and SDL

digby

In my attempt to install zSNES (zsnes136src.tar.gz) I encountered an error. I ran"

$tar xvzf zsnes136src.tar.gz

in it's own dir and everything unpacked fine. I went into the dir with the source and did ./configure and got an error telling me I needed SDL

checking for sdl-config... no
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The sdl-config script installed by SDL could not be found
*** If SDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the SDL_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to sdl-config.
configure: error: SDL >= 1.2.0 is required

So I went to the SDL website and downloaded it. (SDL-1.2.6-1.src.rpm) I ran (as root)

# rpm --rebuild SDL-1.2.6-1src.rpm

and everything worked fine.

When I went to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 to install the SDL rpm, I got an error saying

[root@localhost i586]# rpm -ivh SDL-1.2.6-1.i586.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
       file /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 from install of SDL-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package libSDL1.2-1.2.5-12mdk

I was kind of proud of myself for getting this far, since I have never done anything like this without a step-by-step instruction set. But now I'm stuck. If you could help, I'd appreciate it.

Your libSDL is from and older version (1.2.5) while the SDL you are trying to install is version 1.2.6. Of course there is a compatibility problem :)

What you need in this case is not SDL (since it's already installed from what I see in your case) but SDL-devel in which you can install easily by typing this command as root

urpmi libSDL1.2-devel

However, you may need to install other SDL packages in order to compile zsnes, so just to be safe, it's better to use rpmdrake and search and install every SDL related packages available.

Anyway, if all you have to do is install zsnes, you can get the mandrake rpm from contrib. And what do you know.. this board has its own contrib repository. :)

Here is the file

ftp://ftp.mandrake-forum.org/pub/Mandrake...6-3mdk.i586.rpm

Good luck and enjoy zsnes.

Thanks. The RPM worked just fine. Of course, getting zsnes was only a part of the objective. I mostly wanted to install a program froum source for the experience of doing it. (Newbie here) I installed the SDL devel package and at that point ./configure worked, but make did not. I'm going to play around with it and see what I can figure out. (Probably very little at this point.

• 3 years later...
When I went to /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 to install the SDL rpm, I got an error saying

[root@localhost i586]# rpm -ivh SDL-1.2.6-1.i586.rpm
Preparing...				########################################### [100%]
	file /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 from install of SDL-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package libSDL1.2-1.2.5-12mdk

i just want to point out one small detail about the error above. the error was because the install option (i) was specified with the rpm invocation and there was already a similar package that provides the same file (because its the same package, albeit older. this is not always the case though). if digby used the update option (U) then the rpm invocation would probably have succeeded.

if i am using rpm, I always use the update option regardless if i have an older version or if it is a newer install. this is because the update option will install the specified package normally (assuming all dependencies are met) if a previous version does not exists. the only package that should not be installed via this option is the kernel since those should always be installed with -i to avoid hosing down your boot sequence and boot menu (just search the faq and the board for the long explanation).

hope this little tidbit of information helps.

ciao!