Palm sync problems

phunni

My last set of posts on this subject ( see http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1105 ) was getting a bit long - to summarise:

I am trying to sync a palm Vx with evolution running on Mandrake 9.0. I have installed the absolute latest versions of gnome-pilot, pilot-link, evolution-pilot and related files that I could find. I am failing to sync at the very first hurdle - I can't set the username on my palm. I have tried via the wizard from gnome-pilot and via install-user. The furthest I have got is the palm telling me that it has connected and is trying to indentify user, but it get's no further than that.

I am getting sooooo frustrated - especially since I hear so many people saying they got it working first time - what's wrong with me!?

Any help would be very, very much appreciated - I am at my wits end!

Are you certain the palm is not defective? As I said before, a hard reset should clear everything in the palm except firmware. This means you should have to install an owner and then reinstall all software from backup. If it is not acting this way, the problem is the palm.

It is possible that the palm is defective, although before I had it, it was in regular user with my boss and he had no problems with it. I have done nothing to damage it since I've had it so... No problems arose before I performed the first hard reset.

The hard reset did clear everything - the problem comes when I try to reinstall the user, it doesn't seem to want to work. I a mcurrently trying to complete this step on windows or linux (I periodically switch between the two to see if I can come up with something new). Ultimately I want to work with linux, but I'm kind of hoping that if I can get a username on there any which way, then I should be able to sync with Linux - I hope!

Just set up with the windows software and then use linux. When I corrupted my palm trying to sync with Mandrake 8.2, I restored with the windows program. Mandrake 9 synced without a problem. I backed up on linux, so now my palm is all linux. By the way, I think I told you I am using kpilot, but I'm really using jpilot. I like it!

Thanks, I'm coming to the conclusion that the palm might be defective. Last night I tried to get it working on a firends windows computer and I had the same results - could not add a user to the palm. I have no idea if I can get it fixed if the palm is broken :(

My only hope is that windows XP could be the problem - I have not yet had a chance to sync with a non-XP windows machine.

Does anyone know of any problems relating to Windows XP? I've already seen seomthing online but it said that the problem was resolved if you used Palm Desktop 4.1 which I am

This doesn't seem to work SoulSe - this option seems simply to be the ability to add owner information (the only option I can see is "owner" not "user") I did attempt this(based on what you said in the last thread - I wasn't ignoring you!) and no desktop client (windows or Linux) picked up the user.

If you have any further advice on adding a user direct to the palm, then I would be gratefult ot hear it.

Ok, sorry. :roll:

I remember the first time I turned on my Handspring, it gave me that screen asking for an "owner" but the first time I synced it, it detected the "user" as that owner I inserted.

Whenever I've done a hard reset though, it hasn't done that again. I am also starting to suspect that your palm is faulty, especially considering that it doesn't sync on other pcs.

Why not take it to your local distributor? Most of them will send it in to be checked free of charge and if it needs to be repaired, it shouldn't cost too much. That way you can clear the possibility of it being faulty out of the way.

When my first palm 3 packed up, I took it in and Palm repaired it free of charge.

OK, I have tested the cradle with another computer and it is fine. I have succesfully added a user to the palm from windows, but I am still having problems performing a first sync from my linux box - are there any issues that I should be aware of, or any tips. This is a palm Vx running palm OS 3.5.3 - anyone else managed to get that to work?

Progress - I have succesfully performed a sync with my linux box, where gnome pilot was able to retrieve the username from my palm. Since then, every attempt to sync has failed! AAARRRGGGHHH! It sometimes gets as far as indentifying the user, but so far has never got beyond that.

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom here? This is getting VERY frustrating. The whole reason I got this palm is because, apparently, palm can sync with linux - in particular Evolution

What you have to understand about syncing is that it is typically uni-directional. That is, unless you change the settings, appts and names you change on the computer won't be dropped into the Palm. The Palm will by default over-write your settings on the syncing application. You have to be extremely careful in how you set it up because you can wipe out your Palm's data if you do it the other way.

I would use JPilot and use the backup button rather than syncing. I once wiped out my Palm's data by allowing the computer to write data to the Palm. Be especially carefull of applications that have conduits as they can seriously F__ your data sometimes. I personally do all my scheduling on the Palm and use the applications as a way to view data without using my Palm's batteries and as backup in case the Palm gets wiped.

Installing Palm apps onto the Palm can be done with the kpilot app.

• 3 months later...

At the risk of being obvious have you set the conduits to copy from Evolution to the Palm?

I think you can copy from the Palm to Evolution from Evolution to The Palm and sychronise all as dfferent options. I've had terrible bother with USB cradles but the serial cable works every time for me. I can use JPilot KPilot and Evolution in Mdk 9.0 without problems. If your having no joy at all give me a holler and I'll try to look up the actual settings . I have notes I took somewhere!