Grub fatality

finlay

I'm back to using Lilo. Having heard great things about Grub, I went into MCC and selected it as bootloader. When I rebooted and chose linux from the grub menu I got "fatal error - can't find vmlinuz" or similar. Being useless I couldn't figure out how to sort this from rescue. My 9.2 boot floppy doesn't work - yes I used superformat or whatever it's called, but it just ticks away for about five minutes "loading vmlinuz" than the machine reboots and it starts all over again.

TCALSS I ended up reinstalling. I hate that. I would love to have a working boot floppy or CD. As I say I followed the advice in here, but the floppy is useless. Can anyone explain a) what happened and B) how to make that floppy, please?

Finlay

Can anyone explain a) what happened

you used mcc?

lilo -u

grub-install '(hd0)'

to install grub to the mbr of hda.

cli!

I say this because most, if not all, issues w/ grub that you'll find on this board are a result of ppl messing w/ DrakBoot (gui) which is not even stable w/ lilo much less grub. CLI! :D

Before you reinstalled did you boot rescue mode/cd1 and restore the bootloader? Reinstall is rarely necessary, but you know that. I'm just curious if rescue mode/lilo failed after grub.