Ennemy Territory problem

Ghil Vertefeuille

From discussing this with Ghil in IRC:

NVidia driver installed (don't know which version). Game starts to black screen and locks up. Can't kill X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. I'm having him delete ~/.xsession-errors and try running the game immediately and see if there are any pertitent errors in there from it. No errors in terminal it ran from that he can see.

instead of ctrl+alt+backspace (which restarts the x server which is why kde is restarted) can you try going to another console ctrl+alt+F2 and log in, then do a killall et or if that doesn't work killall et.x86. ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to your X session.

This way you will still have the virtual terminal from which you started ET, so you can see if there are any error messages.

From my terrible memory i seem to recall that if you have sound problems (a daemon blocking q3 access to /dev/dsp) it can cause freezing in quake 3 based games at startup.

you could try "et +set s_initsound 0" which will disable sound in et and if it doesn't you will know that it is sound related.