Samba file server whilst sharing internet

pippovich

Roland, I just wanted to inform you that it did not work in the end, because I am trying to provide access to my files to XP computers and they don't have the option to log onto an NT domain.

I tried it with win98 too but it did not work neither. It would recognise the domain (localhost) but it still wouldn't provide access to the files. Even if it worked on 98, without XPs having access to it is pointless so I will give up on file-sharing.

I can access files on windows computers from my linux box and I can telnet into linux from windows boxes so in case I need to copy something of Mandrake, I will log via telnet and copy the files using the console.

Gowator, thanks for your tip on restarting samba!

Pippovich

Thank you to have informed me about the result.

I'm not surprised for Win XP but surprised it didn't work with 98.

There is some things to check like localhost being a fancy domain name or check the name of the machine, but well no need to fix something you don't care.

I'm out now, may be I should have let gowator finish the job with you: he is a master ;)

Just I'm sure there is plenty of post about file sharing between ML and XP in this forum.

Did you checked ?

by

roland