MDK-10-RC-1

Guest anon

Thanks for the info, I will be installing tonight if my wife lets me... :P

Will let you guys know how things work for me.

quick question: what is that command: rawread?

If a script, please post/attach here or send it to me.. ;-)

Last question: you say the installer doesn't really finish... not a good sign to me; where does it stop/end?

Edited by aRTee

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rawread is a script and a very useful one too. Here's a link explaining it:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

Quoting from the article:

The following is a bash script, which I call rawread, that reads any CD to stdout:

#!/bin/sh

device=$1

blocksize=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Logical block size is:" | cut -d " " -f 5`

if test "$blocksize" = ""; then

echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blocksize >&2

exit

fi

blockcount=`isoinfo -d -i $device | grep "^Volume size is:" | cut -d " " -f 4`

if test "$blockcount" = ""; then

echo catdevice FATAL ERROR: Blank blockcount >&2

exit

fi

command="dd if=$device bs=$blocksize count=$blockcount conv=notrunc,noerror"

echo "$command" >&2

$command

The preceding script (which I call rawread) parses the output of isoinfo for the blocksize and blockcount, assigns them to variables, and then runs the proper dd command to copy data from the device (first argument of the rawread command) to stdout.

To use this script to create an iso, do the following:

rawread /dev/cdrom > myiso.iso

To use this script to check the md5sum of the CD, do the following:

rawread /dev/cdrom | md5sum

Re the installer not finishing, That's just my speculation and the same thing happened in beta2. After the bootlader is installed (to floppy), the installer goes through some more configuration stuff setting up the printer and whatnot IIRC and then I got a blank blue screen with a big "X" in the middle. After a few moments, it went back to the initial language selection screen. I then rebooted with the floppy and got the above result. It worked OK that way in beta2 but not here. My suspicion is that X was not fully configured before the installer crapped out on me. I think installing the bootloader to a floppy is most likely the problem. Later in the week, I'll retry with lilo installed to the mbr and see if that makes any difference.

Is it me, or does this not sound very good for this release? One would think that you would want to improve with each step, but from what I see here and read eslewhere, it seems that the RC1 is a step back. Hopefully it's a small bug that is quickly fixed..

Posting this from within rc1.

Not terrible, far from catastrophic, but not good either -- too amateuristic.

Lan config in summary crashed the installer (as it had in beta2, which I reported..).

Booted fine, no kernel source installed although I had indicated I wanted that (same with xawtv, not there either..)

Both mice work (ps2 and usb), not bad.

No audio, since I have a webcam and it loads the snd-usb-audio for the mic, then my audigy module emu10k1 doesn't get loaded anymore..

Off to send in some bugreports...

Nothing got installed from the 3rd cd, but the kernel source headers are there, not complete source, but just as with beta2 it's enough to compile things against.

I had to install again, after rebooting and adding the 3rd cd as a source -- don't know if I mistakenly clicked 'cancel' instead of 'ok' when I put in the 3rd cd -- it just didn't install anything from that...

Please let me know if this happens to you too -- meaning if you 'ok' when it asks for the 3rd cd but doesn't install, so that I know if I have to write a bugreport, or if it was just me -- and know that in that case you have to add the 3rd cd to your sources. I add the mounted iso images for faster installation and to avoid having to put in the discs (as on my website config page..).

BTW howabout trying on your laptop, and if it doesn't work, send in bugreports..? You know you really want mdk10 on that instead of .. ehm, ... something else (Lin---sOS -- gotta love that name :P great stunt..)

Hmm, Laptop is too sensitive.....for an RC release....

Ive been thinking of a knoppix HD install on it ....

The reason forthis is that I KNOW it works becuase I tried it live!!!

I am willing to gamble that Mandrake won't... it will hang on PCMCIA ... like EVERY Mandrake since 8.1 has on it.

I tried MandrakeMove onthe shuttle last night, it just sits there detecting hardware!!! (For those in Europe its on the cover of a French Linux mag this month)

Ive ripped an old machine apart and taken out ANYTHING mandrake screws up for MDK10. Its the most generic PC Ive got. USB1.1 only, etc. etc.

(Not that I can't get usb2 working with mandrake its just fussy, hangs on the belkin USB2 card etc.)

aRTee..... pls see my wizards wanted post.... have you got some time to help???

Well, if you don't test the rc on your laptop, then how are they able to realise there is a problem before the final??

I checked my bugs, they really are trying to fix all serious stuff, and even not so serious problems.

If knoppix works live, good, but realise that on a live cd lots of things don't have to work (no excuse for mandrake move btw)..

BTW can't you just take the lindows kernel and run that with mandrake? Not much different from making your own kernel. Oh, you may have to live without some mdk specific kernel things (supermount) but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem...

I'll have a look asap at your other post, off for home now.. :)

Hope your right aRTee... I did the whole 9.0 testing and the bugs I reported are still there now.

Of course some are features (like acpi=on) in the install or supermount :D .

Ill give it a go on the minimal system because its a test sysyem and if things don't work or screw up its no big deal.....

But as a LINUX only user... (No windows anywhere) I rely on my server and shuttle. I simply can't afford them not to work....

The 9.2 trial I did on the shuttle cost me hours and hours when I should have been doing other things.... now Im scrabbling round last minute filling out tax forms and lots of legal stuff I should have done instead of messing trying to get nvnet working in Mandy :D

It takes the fun out of playing with a system when you know you need it working ASAP for your tax return :D

Don't talk bad about supermount!!

Worked and works for me on loads of machines!

Yes, they are paying attention to my bugs, the worst ones are getting fixed, some already are; some bugs I reported for beta2 are fixed in rc1.

BTW I have 4 extra root partitions on my main system, can currently go back to mdk9.2 (fully configured, bit messed due to kde3.2) or 10beta2 (mostly configured, not too shabby) but I like 10rc1 fine so far...

Can someone do me a favour, please?

If you have installed rc 1 (with the reverted xfree 4.3), can you add kaffeine 0.4.1-3.mkd (on the contrib cooker mirror, and it needs xine from the cd, and kde, it's a kde media-player) to your install, start it, and close it. Does it crash, short after closing it?

There was/is (?) a kaffeine-problem in MDK 10/cooker that could not get solved yet, probably with xfree 4.4. - Can you post the result here so that I can email the developper.

At the moment I am doing tests for the Beta Cooker - but still no sucess.

Thank you!

Please, can anyone do this for me??????? Please ...

Well, this is posted from RC1....

So far, on this minimal system (MGA graphics) everything seems fine.

Little webmin install hickup in install but added contribs and stuff and urpmii'd it!!!

(/me wonders, anyone else had problems with webmin from CD's)

The drakwizards seem a bit nicer but the log still tells you close to nothing about what its doing...

the 'INSTALL SOFTWARE' is working like treacle.

The mount is pretty damn good, NFS and SAMBA. finds my NFS servers and creates the directory.

The samba one didn't work but hey, who wants/needs samba anyway. I'll try FISH later ..but NFS is secure enough for my home use and much simpler than SAMBA .... and since I don't have a windows machine/partition ....

aRTee - there is deinately NO MP3 encoder.... Im sure I tried everyone I know ..... (switched off internet sources and CD only) .. no bladeenc, no lame, no mp3enconde.... only oggenc (which is useless to me). However, LAME installed fine from PLF.... :D

aRTee - dual boot (or mutliboot isn't an option, my servers get rebooted for hardware changes and even the desktop (shuttle) gets rebooted maybe once every few months....

Yesterday was the first time in ages which is why i chose to try out MandrakeMove.... I forgot to try my new deb 2.6 kernel when I rebooted after move... ahhh well there's always Easter.

(Although it works under vmware)

The closest i can get to testing a distro is under vmware... although I'd like to try usermode linux.... (anyone) or this presently spare PC.

My PCMCIA bug is STILL in from 9.0beta1 !! I guess I need a more exciting name :D

acpi is apparently not a bug, but a feature.... yep a great introduction to linux that feature, you can get to grips with the CLI before booting the install CD :devil:

Overall though, on this machine its working great considering its a RC.....

However, I'd put money it will die on the shuttle with the nforce....and it won't let me turn off acpi in bios becuase of the liquid cooled control... hey hum

anna, will try tonight.

gowator, glad to see it's not a total fiasco. About pcmcia, if you still have that bug, open a new report for it, very old bugreports (pre 9.2) are likely to get ignored, in the sense that if no one talks about it there's probably no problem -- noticed that many old bugs are duplicates but no one has taken the time to weed them out...

can you not turn acpi support off in linux, then install, then make sure it's in lilo/grub as a standard option?

BTW, you may think that linux gives you problems with acpi, but get this: if you install windowsxp with acpi support, and you change your hardware, and for some reason the new config doesn't work with acpi, guess what: no commandline at boot, but one remedy only: reinstall.

Give me the boot cli anytime... :P

Good on nfs -- when I started with my home network I tried samba for a bit, got to see shares on win machines (my wifes'), not the other way around, then just used nfs between my linux server and workstation, and now all 3 are on nfs. No need for samba, just as in your case.

About the no mp3 encoder -- does it at least decode mp3's? I will give it a try later, played some files but most I have are .ogg -- the way it should be :D

Agree, again, that without plf mdk is nothing. But then again, this is the same for each distro, they all need some sources that are not exactly legal. Blame the US legal system, as for plenty of other things. Works for me...

If you have so many machines that never reboot, you just need one more that you can test things with... not as if it's that expensive. Btw I figured you might be a gentoo type, no?

Usermode linux is where it will be at sometime soon, for now I still have one free system partition... :)

On my problems with rc1 -- had no sound yesterday in frozen-bubble, or any other sdl game. This sucks. xmms was ok after configuring some stuff in the driver setup of xmms, which I have never had to do before.

Weird stuff going on..

Also, I'm running the enterprise kernel, should run the 4gb kernel, only just now realised that nothing from the 3rd cd got installed (HEY! Did you get things installed from the 3rd one Gowator??) which may include the 4gb kernel -- and when I looked for it the 3rd cd wasn't added as a source...

Not really a problem, except that the enterprise kernel (which also supports more than 896MB) doesn't manage to shut down the pc -- it writes

power down

at the end, and then just sits there..

Some more testing to do....