MDK-10-RC-1

Guest anon

Yep thats the purpose the test machine.

I don't know why peope get surpried when a beta or RC wipes out there data. I wouldn't play with a beta harddrake with live disks in .... if it does wipe them Ive only myself to blame.

(GodFlesh, if your reading this the 10 install is with RAID 1

:D )

I think it has MP3 decodecs but not encodecs....

Like I said before, my DVD player and archos MP3 player don't do OGG. Maybee they should but they don't. The practical problem with OGG vs MP3 is the shere number of devices with hardware encoding/decoding. Like MPEG2 were still stuck with it becuase its built into boxes on HW not firmware.

acpi - Is actually a MS created fiasco. MS made a mistake in the original Win98 (deliberate or not) and mis-implimented acpi. ooops.... becuase of markets everyone else ended up mis-implimenting it too.

But really it causes more problems for noobie installers than almost any other. Somehow I think it would have been better to make it optionally on instead of optionally off on disk 1.

Ill check the order of PCMCIA tonight.... the hanging is a bug but starting PCMCIA after network ... is just plain braindead. I'll look tonight and see where it starts but to me this signifies a problem ..... if the thing hangs on some chipsets then thats a bug for certain HW but starting it after networking or anything else you might conceivably need PCMCIA for is more like sweeping it under the carpet.

3rd CD installed OO help, and a couple of other things, like webmin...except webmin didn't install it had a package error both during install and later.

Gentoo. ???? Nah, too much hassle to set-up quickly. I like the idea but optimising the compile of 80% of things in linux does nothing. The real benefits are the low level stuff.

Just how much faster is a K7 CDrecord than a i386 CDrecord on the same cdrecorder ?? How much speed increase is available from K3B interface being compiled and how much faster do you want your mail delivery to be ????

I like something that works almost from the box... then lets you fiddle and replace/optimise as you feel the need.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more stuff:

I did:

krandrtray

and I got the resize option in the system tray. Very cool. Now if only I'd know how to start this from the menu or KCC I could write it on my website..

Got lirc working, and my sensors.

Found out the reason I never got the fanspeed is the bios, may even have been in mdk9.1 or 9.0 when I first started with lm_sensors and gkrellm -- the fan is temperature controlled, so it throttles down if not too warm. Guess what, the bios just puts 0 if it's below 1300 revs/min or so....

Using kernel 2.6.3-1mdk-i686-up-4GB, but I can't find the source, checked various cooker mirrors, contrib and main and on both I only find older sources, but not the one for my kernel -- hence right now no nvidia 3d...

My audio works ok, but I have to use

soundwrapper [game]

for SDLaudio which is used by pathological, frozen-bubble, majesty,...

I set the latency to minimal in kcc but there is still a slight lag..

Wow, I downloaded the three .isos one evening, burned them to disc the next morning, and I've been using it ever since. No problems with USB, no problems with my display, I'm really impressed. I did have a problem with it locking up once, while I was moving some files from my Windows partition to it, but I blame that on windoze :)

A problem: installed lm_sensors, now the machine locks when shutting down -- at the unloading sensors module point..

Apart from that, I installed a 4GB supporting 2.6.3-1mdk kernel -- of which the source is not available (see other threads), so no 3d accelleration for now.

---note: just found the source:

ftp://ftp.vat.tu-dresden.de/pub/Mandrake-...3-1mdk.i586.rpm

there's also the stripped source:

ftp://ftp.vat.tu-dresden.de/pub/Mandrake-...3-1mdk.i586.rpm

Well I've had no major problems with 10rc1. Apart from having to recompile the kernel before I could get the nvidia drivers working.

I think i've solved that problem now. Theres a problem with the current kernel install script which ignores the extra kernel name tag when creating the modules directory if you rename the modules directory to fix the problem the NVIDIA drivers can't work out what kernel your running and won't install or just don't work when installed. Solution is simply to create a link to the correct location or remove the extra name tag from the kernel Makefile.

Edited by Falcdragon

I'm planning to rebuild my desktop at easter (don have any money to go anywhere, so I may just stay inside and fiddle with my PC right!?).

Anyone got any idea if MDK 10 will be out and public by then?

Will be way before then, check here:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...Main/Mandrake10

Most likely, 10 community edition will be out in less than 3 weeks. Don't hold your breath, but it will be soon. Don't believe too much in that schedule; it's only semi-official.

Don't know if they will first bring it out for clubmembers though; I can imagine that only clubmembers get access to the isos of the official release, or that they get earlier access to those...

Guest Adriano

Meh, I'd think since it's the community ed., that it'd be available for all as soon as possible, so as to maximize the quantity of testers...

Ghod, I just used "maximize" in the marketroid sense...