Samba Windows XP problem

cardassianscot

I have a problem with Samba and Windows XP. I have a network of around 25 windows computers which access shares from a Linux Mandrake 9.2 server. We have windows 95, 98 and NT4 all working without a problem but there are some problems with some users laptops running Windows XP. It will not allow them to access Samba shares but keeps asking for a username and password repeatedly.

Now, I can get round this by first rebooting and then first disconnecting the laptop from the network (or booting without plugging the laptop into the network), then trying to access a share while the computer is not networked, clicking away the error message, then plugging the network back in, waiting a few seconds and then accessing the shares.

BTW, it all worked perfectly with Mandrake 8.0, but has caused problems since I upgraded to Mandrake 9.2.

Does anyone know why this is or even better tell me how to avoid it?

Thanks

Absolute first thing that you need to check is that you have encrypted passwords set to yes. Without this, no windows 2000 or XP machines will ever be able to login.

Second, what kind of security are you using? Also, have you added all the users to samba?

Are you using workgroups for the network or are you running samba as the primary domain controller?

If the first suggestion does not help, add more details and be specific about your setup and it will be easier to offer up a solution.

Thanks. In order

Encrypted passwords are set to yes.

Security is user

All users are added to Samba and work in Win 9x (and xp after procedure described in my first post)

I'm only using workgroups

Here's my smb.conf file with comments and blank lines deleted. I've also deleted some of my shares since I have a lot of them and adding more shares shouldn't make a difference.

[global]
  workgroup = NAZARENE
  server string = Samba Server %v
  printcap name = cups
  load printers = yes
  printing = cups
  printer admin = @adm
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 50
 map to guest = bad user
  security = user
 encrypt passwords = yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
update encrypted = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Changing*password*for*user*%u*\n*New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*
new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
unix password sync = Yes
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
  dns proxy = no
[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = no
  writable = yes
  print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer dri
vers.
[print$]
  path = /var/lib/samba/printers
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = @adm root
  guest ok = yes
[pdf-generator]
  path = /var/tmp
  guest ok = No
  printable = Yes
  comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
  #print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path win_path recipi
ent IP doc_name &
  print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I &
[pdf-screen]
 copy = pdf-generator
 comment = PDF Generator - Screen quality (only valid users)
 print command=/usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I "" %S &
[pdf-printer]
 copy = pdf-generator
 comment = PDF Generator - Print quality (only valid users)
[pdf-prepress]
 copy = pdf-generator
 comment = PDF Generator - PrePress quality (only valid users)
[admin]
       path = /home/admin
       valid users = @admin
       force group = admin
       writeable = Yes
       create mask = 0770
       force create mode = 0770
       directory mask = 0770
       force directory mode = 0770
       inherit permissions = Yes
[all]
       path = /home/all
       writeable = Yes
       create mask = 0777
       force create mode = 0777
       directory mask = 0777
[organiser]
       path = /home/organiser
       writeable = Yes
       create mask = 0777
       force create mode = 0777
       directory mask = 0777
       force directory mode = 0777
[printer]
       path = /usr/local/samba/printer
[generaloffice]
       comment = General Office
       path = /tmp
       printable = Yes
       printer driver = HP LaserJet 4Si/4SiMX PS
       printer driver location = //DELENN/PRINTER

The problem may be because I copy and pasted some of the smb.conf file from my 8.0 install into my 9.2 smb.conf file. However, I still don't know what lines are the problem.

Thanks.

Edited by cardassianscot

Hmm, odd.

How do you have the XP machines setup. The problem may be on their end. Are they XP home or pro? Are the laptops set up to access the workgroup? Also, are the laptops expecting to log into a windows domain or are they expecting the person to simply log into the laptop?

I have had this problem before with win2k and XP and the problem has always been the fact that the users were not entered correctly as Samba and/or Linux users. Remember, you need to enter all users as both Samba and Linux users. (really is a pain)

In addition, are the XP laptops running a firewall of any kind? This can cause some huge problems in that a firewall can often get in the way of connecting to samba or windows shares.

Somethings to think about.

Another approach you can take is to use a tool like SWAT or webmin to work with the samba config file. The help available through SWAT may be able to offer a few clues as to what is going on.

They are XP Home, as far as I can tell they are not expecting a windows domain. They are set up to use the correct workgroup. The users are all ok, as far as I can tell, since I can use the same users on a win 9x machine with no problems. The win xp machines are not running any sort of wirefall, we have a firewall between our intranet and the internet. I have used SWAT in the past but just copy and pasted the sections from my old smb.conf file into the new one.

Are the laptop users using the same username and password to log into their laptops as they are using to try and login to Samba? Or are they different?

Just from the sounds of things, you have Samba setup correctly. This means that the problem must lie with the laptops.

Hmm, i agree.

Since taking them out of the network and

Now, I can get round this by first rebooting and then first disconnecting the laptop from the network (or booting without plugging the laptop into the network), then trying to access a share while the computer is not networked, clicking away the error message, then plugging the network back in, waiting a few seconds and then accessing the shares.

it would seem they are not passing the correct passwrd.

I think you need to use the connect as other user bit to make the connection. Then it will allow you to supply the PWD and username and force it.

The laptops might just be out of password synch with the windows network!!!! Often compaies have stupid rules that don't work together.... such as forcing the laptop users to change password when the second day of the second week is a full moon and .....

and in a different app (like email forcing the change on different rules and not allowing it to be the same password)

Also you have no browseable shares .... so this makes it hard to test....

If you set one browsable you can do the refresh thing in explorer or my network (whatever it calls it).... so if you manage to fix it its easier to spot when!!!

The laptops are using different usernames and passwords to access the shares and to login to windows. But with Windows XP this should be ok.

How do I connect as other user? When I try to access a share it pops up a window asking for a username and password, is it more than this?

I'm the system admin so there are no funny rules about changing passwords.

As for the no browseable shares bit, ok, but I can click on our server and get a list of shares but I cannot access any of them.

While the problem may be with the laptops it only occurs when accessing a samba server. They work fine with other windows machines and did work fine with Mandrake 8.0 . Therefore it is logical to assume that there is a something different about the version of samba that is included in 9.2 that is causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

This may be a problem. Windows XP Home is really funny about the way that it handles things like Samba Shares. As far as I know, it expects to access the shares as the user that loged in.

I know on my notebook that as long as the user name/password that I use on my winXP notebook is the same as what I have in Samba, I can access any shares on Samba. I have not tried to see what happens when the two are different.

Try making the XP user details and the Samba details the same and see if this corrects the problem.

WinXP Home does not allow for Domains or complicated networking. This has proven to be a huge problem for other people.