MDK 2.6.* kernel problems

Every time I try to install the 2.6.* kernel on my desktop, I get some crazy 'kernel panic: no init found' when trying to boot. After installing the 2.6, I can no longer boot to my 2.4.* kernel because of the same error. After removing udev (which also removes kernel 2.6.*), I can boot to the 2.4.* kernel just fine. My hardware is in my signature. Does anyone know of a workaround?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

If you think udev is the prob, it's a service that can be disabled w/ chkconfig or DrakXServices. Other than that I d/k? How many different kernels have you tried? Did you get the new initscripts and have new /udev and /sysfs directories? Did you still have devfs=mount in the bootloader and devfs running at boot? Make it devfs=nomount and disable devfs.

Most ppl running 2.6 aren't doing it correctly. I was but k3b got my dvd/cdrw confused so I have both devfs and udev going.

I've attempted to disable it and still have the same problems. Also, with devfs=mount and with devfs=nomount. Also tried a reinstall of Cooker 10 (my own snapshot taken on 2/6/04) which works on my laptop.

I have/had a new /udev directory, but not a /sysfs

Update: It's not a udev problem after all. It's the kernel. The reason I could no longer boot to my 2.4.* kernel was that the new kernel updated the /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd symlinks that my old kernel was using.

This is also a problem if I try to reinstall usng the Cooker snapshot disks that I created. (Which work fine on my laptop).

Now, what I am wondering, is why do I not have problems like this on my laptop?

then I don't know :(

but do

mkdir -p /sysfs

otherwise sysfs can not be used. It has something to do with filesystem identification and I've ran without it, but who knows.....well, I'd think it'd be a good idea for it to be there when the kernel goes to look for it.

Well, the most promising thing I found searching the web said to add this to my append line:

ide0=1x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=1x170,0x376,15

to make it see the HD before it sees the (empty) SATA controller, but that didn't work. bummer

More verbose description after calming down:

After adding the append line, I can get it to 'mount' sysfs, but still get the error mounting the HD and it telling me it can't find init. Without the append line, I never see any info about sysfs and get the mount error and 'cannot find init'. Should I not be adding that to the append line and add it somewhere else in lilo.conf?

Even more verbose description:

Here is the last few lines leading up to the kernel panic:

Default Append Line:

Mounting /proc filesystem

Creating device files

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown-block(3,1)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option

Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root filesystem on unknown-block(3,1)

With ide0=1x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=1x170,0x376,15 Added to Append Line:

Mounting /proc filesystem

Creating device files

Mounting sysfs

Creating root device

Mounting root filesystem

Mount: Error 6 mounting ext3 flags defaults

Well, trying without the option flags

Mount: Error 6 mounting ext3

Well, trying read-only without any flag

Mount: Error 6 mounting ext3

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) Failed: 2

Remounting devfs at correct place if necessary

Mounted devfs on /dev

Freeing unused kernel memory: 288k freed

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

With the append line added, I still get the same error whether or not I use the init= option in the append line. Also, the same with devfs=nomount (except of course for the 'Mounted devfs...blah' parts).