Gamer Edition?

Guest secovel

Guest secovel

Is there going to be a Mandrake 9 Gamer Edition? I like Mandrake 9, but I've got to rebuild my machine. I'm trying to decide between Gamer Edition (which doesn't seem to exist :( ) and Gentoo.

TIA

Sean

Why not just make your own gaming edition?

Plenty of games you can run natively on Linux (Check out DOlsen site):

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/articles/gamelist.php

If that is not enough use Wine:

http://frankscorner.org/wine/index.php

Or subscribe to Winex for 3 months (since I don't really support Winex, you gotta find the link yourself...anyway you'll find it on Frank's site).

Guest secovel

Because I'm lazy! If I'm going to have to work hard, I may as well go Gentoo, and REALLY work hard!

Getting DRI/Wine/WineX setup is a PITA. If I could BUY ($$$$) a gamer edition of Mandrake 9, I would!

Actually, its pretty easy to install RTCW and Quake III, have not tried the others. The gamers edition will be Mandrake 9, plus a game (was The Sims in Madrake 8.1) and Winex. So building one and buying one wont really make much of a difference (but if you like the bundled game, its a steal).

Yeah but the Gamer's Edition is just the standard pack with WineX and the game. If you prefer the robust number of packages in the PowerPack, then you're SOL.

At that point, you are better off getting the PowerPack and a subscription to WineX.

Now that my OpenGL is more stable (KT333 chipset and nVidia GeForce 2) than it was in my old machine (ALi 1541 chipset and nVidia TNT2), I'm going to subscribe. I want to be able to play some of my old win games on my Linux box, some of which will run flawlesly. I still have the capability of swapping out hard drives to run Windoze 98, but I prefer to stay within Linux, even if some don't agree with the concept of WineX,...

I'll personally stand on principal about demanding native games when Linux has conquered 10% of the desktop market,... until then the challenge is to get more people to switch.

Yesterday I played Wolf-Linux 1.33. Tonight I just wasted some Strogg in Quake Linux 3.21

Now if only I could find a Windows copy of AVP-Gold, than I could really kick some alien butt.

Secovel. Its worth the effort. Which is not that much. An we will guide you every step of the way.

Why not just make your own gaming edition?

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/...

Or subscribe to Winex for 3 months (since I don't really support Winex, you gotta find the link yourself...anyway you'll find it on Frank's site).

1) You mean like using CVS so that you don't send Transgaming your money? Good idea!

2) Argh. My site has a WineX CVS tutorial on it too... If you're gonna tell people to use WineX, tell them to use CVS so Transgaming doesn't get their money. :P

3) See numbers 1 and 2.

I don't use Winex myself (hell I don't even use WIne). I would rather boot up my Win98 partition for my old flight sims (which probably won't run on Winex anyway). I also think that WInex might cause some developers not to make native Linux versions...

...but hell, they are on the same side in a manner of speaking...

I don't think that WineX would cause developers to not think of a native port to Linux of their games. For most Developers, Linux is not even a blip on their radar, and won't be until the installed user base is more significant in terms of population. I see WineX as a step in the right direction in terms of them making ports. If they are consciencious enough to merely think of making their game work under WineX, then at least they are thinking about their potential Linux clients. If they then see this market as significant in terms of revenue, they will make the games.

I don't think that WineX would cause developers to not think of a native port to Linux of their games. For most Developers, Linux is not even a blip on their radar, and won't be until the installed user base is more significant in terms of population. I see WineX as a step in the right direction in terms of them making ports. If they are consciencious enough to merely think of making their game work under WineX, then at least they are thinking about their potential Linux clients. If they then see this market as significant in terms of revenue, they will make the games.

Okay... Timegate licensed Transgaming to "port" their games via WineX...

Ability "ported" (read: packaged a Windows app in an RPM and provided instructions for installing and configuring Wine) their office suite too...

If those developers are using Wine now, what would make them not use it in the future? The way things are going, Wine(X) will be too deeply entrenched into the way things are done, and we will be running on top of a Windows framework for a long time to come. Don't believe me? Look at the Linux distros that now integrate Wine right in...

You can deny what's becoming of Linux all you want, but closing your eyes doesn't make the monsters go away.