plugins for mozilla, firefox, opera, ...

ralph1976

can somebody explain to me, how i have to setup the plugins, players, browers and file associations for several browers like konqueror, firefox, opera, mozilla... if thats possible?

i mean, i have installed mplayer, xine, realplayer and plugins and codecs for them, but only some files on websites work: i can watch quicktime movies on quicktime com with mplayerplugin, although the video starts to stutter after half the movie is played, but i can't listen to soundclips on amazon for example...

thankful for any suggestions and tips...

It seems you have several questions rolled into one :P

Each browser / file browser has its own file association policy. Generally the browser first checks if a file is handled by a plugin (e.g. you click on a link to a PDF document: if acroread plugin is installed, it will open the document). If no plugin can handle the file type, then there is specific options to handle file associations.

For example, in Mozilla, it will generally ask you what to do with the file. You can configure it to always do the same thing with a file type (e.g. so that clicking on a link to a .m3u playlist always launches XMMS). This is done in Preferences -> Navigator -> Helper Applications (in Mozilla 1.6).

In Konqueror, you must adjust the KDE file associations using the KDE Control Center -> Components -> File Associations (in KDE 3.1.0).

I personnally use mplayerplug-in to handle multimedia embedded in web pages, the standard plugins (acroread, flash) in Konqueror and Mozilla, and I configured KDE so that mp3's are opened with XMMS and other multimedia (audio, video) files are opened with mplayer.

For Mozilla, you can download the Flash plugin for Linux at www.shockwave.com. There are instructions in installing the plugin step by step. Once you do that, you can install mozpluger which will help you with your plugin needs, or install the mplayer plugin which works very well. For real player, you can copy the file rpnp.so from /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 and put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or which ever location mozilla is is installed. Once all the plugins are working, if you want them to work in Konqueror, from the Konqueror browser, go to Settings > Configure Konqueror > Plugins. Check "Enable plugins globaly", click "Scan for New Plugins" and click "Apply". I believe with the FireFox browser, it will detect it automatically. I can't tell you how to do it with the other browsers i'm afraid.

Edited by spiedra

Hmmm....I run FireFox XFT version...which means I never did install, just extract and run.

The question is, when I tried to compile mplayer-plugin it say it needs mozilla-devel. I do not have Moz install, just another Moz 1.6 XFT for my news that is extracted and run.

So, how can I make use of mplayer-plugins? The RPMs will most certainly install in /usr/lib/mozilla and I have install (i.e. extracted) my browsers in /opt.

Any help?

I am running MDK9.2+2.6.1 RPM from cooker + KDE 3.2

Eric

:help: