Upgrading Galeon/Epiphany

Guest siko9

Hi

I have installed Mozilla 1.6 and Galeon and Epiphany didn't work anymore, I finally found an mdk rpm of galeon recompiled for moz 1.6 (galeon-1.3.13-1mdk) but when I try to install it (via cli with rpm -ivh) it says I need moz 1.6 installed.

Moz 1.6 is there and running, but I guess that it is not found because it is the mozilla.org pkg and not an rpm?

Is there any workaround for this?

If you can help me with Epiphany too I will appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

siko

Edited by siko9

You've come across one of the problems of building from source in an rpm based distro. Probably the best thing to do is remove your build of moz 1.6 (PITA, I know), find a mandy 1.6 rpm - pref with xft2 support enabled - and install that. Your rpms for galeon / epiphany should then just work.

Another option would be to build Galeon from source against your source mozilla install. Note, last time I built mozilla it took almost 2 GiB of disk space - you might find it benifical to use rpms instead.

Hi, thanks for your answers,

unfortunately, I downloaded the rpm of moz 1.6 as you suggested but it asks for some perl files/rpms and libXinerama which, for what I found is at least an important piece of xfree 4.4... it is kinda overkill all that for just galeon... don't you think?

perhaps there is some moz 1.6 rpm not compiled against Xinerama ?

On the other hand, I loode into a couple of non-cooker servers and only found moz 1.3 in there :(