real audio realplayer

Guest gegalla

Guest gegalla

I'm running mandrale 9.2 on an a celeron 1.1 gh. Is there a realplayer rpm out there that will work with mandrake 9.2? I did some research and found a realplayer 8.0 rpm but when I tried to install it I got a window that said realplayer had bad signatures so I canceled the installation. Is there another linux audio player that will pplay real audio files?

Yes RealPlayer 8 is the latest RealPlayer for Linux, appart from HelixPlayer.

You can install even if your package has "bad signature" (it only means it signature has not been verified against your trusted sources, which is normal if you didn't configure this source).

However, mplayer seems to handle .rm/.ram streams beautifully. I've long ago switched to mplayer for *all* my multimedia playback usage, and it just works, always.

@ neutro: yes and no. it works (except for stuttering after half the movie is loaded) for embedded quicktime movies - the mplayer plugin starts. but i can't assign mplayer to realplayer files on amazon.com for example...

maybe you still have a little patience with a newbie and help me again... :unsure:

I guess the procedure would be to go in

Preferences -> Navigator -> Helper Applications

Click "new type" (unless .ram files are already there, in which case you should select it and click "edit" instead). Enter "x-real" as for the mimetype, and ".ram" as for the extension"

and select the "open with" option with /usr/bin/mplayer for the application.

This should work (I didn't test it -- on my system, as it was proposed in another thread, I installed the Realplayer plug-in so that .ram files are opened by realplay instead).

As for stuttering of quicktime movies, that may be a lot of things. CPU, ram, connection, file corruption, etc. In my experience .mov files always play fine in mplayer with the latest win32 codec package from PLF (I currently use win32-codecs-1.4-2plf).