Sounds from two apps at once

TopDog

Hi.

I love to listen to webradio with XMMS, do it ALL the time. But my problem is that when I do that, there comes no sound from Kopete... I've set Kopete up to make sounds when a message arrives etc, but these sounds don't sound when I use XMMS.

Isn't it possible to get two sounds at once, or is it a setting I've missed?

Using Mandrake 9.2 with KDE 3.1, Nvidia nForce2 chipset btw...

Nvidia nForce2 chipset btw...

ahh, yeah the full duplex from the nForce2..more or less same reason as you!!! If im chilling listening to music I like to know when new mail arrives or GAIM pings etc.

I tried this under mandrake and it got awfully complex, partly I think becuase I was using the enterprise kernel.

I never actually got it working and ended up with so many patches I wrecked 9.1....

Unperturbed I took this golden opportunity to install 9.2 but something bombed on the install.... oh yeah the nforce drivers!!!

darn-it i took time making the source directory visible on a different drive but they wouldn't play!!!

I decided that .. well try and download the darn latest source and recompile... and used knoppix...and lo and behold it worked!!! no fuss....

I still haven't got round to the Mandy install.... which is annoying and I figure my next will be on different hardware (AMD64)

The point is IT CAN WORK and is doing under Debian so if you persist it can be made to happen under mandrake. Im on a FN41G, which shuttle is it???

If you have the space and NEED a working distro then id suggest trying it in a spare install. I tried so much stuff I couldn't remember what I did. I think it actually worked eventually but by that time i had tried so much stuff everything else was falling apart.

set Xmms to use "arts" as output plugin.

Yes, you are my hero! That worked perfectly, thanks :thumbs:

Gowator: I have the SN41G2 that I just bought the new SilentX PSU for... now it's just that damned IBM Deskstar that makes a LOT of noise, it'll be the nex HW do be changed for me.

Edited by TopDog

Most apps now provide the option to use arts for sound, or enlightment for Gnome users. If a particular app doesn't there is a simepl work round, change the KDE shortcut (or console command) so the command is:

soundwrapper <app>

That will pass any attempts the app makes to use your sound card to arts without the app needing to know about it.