UserLinux project.

Pierre Baco

I can't find fault!

Im not sure what I zink but you can't really argue the logic.

The negative side is that I actually believe its good for linux to be so fractionated.... a constantly moving target that MS cant shoot.

At the same time Ive been getting down to deb lately and it is simply better by many metrics (except perhaps the INSTALL).

I have pondered on a few things since trying knoppix....

Basically I have come yto convince myself that the reason Knoppix works so well is the Stable debian base.

The problem with RH is simply that as stated by Perens the whole commerical model doesn't work in terms of providing patches and backporting to stable VS selling the new version.... I actually posted this somewhere yesterday!

This is probably the single factor that makes debian superior......

Its existance as a stable base with updates is the basis for many other distro's.

The UPGRADE works ... at least MUCH better than Mandrake.

Linux has two Trees with Debian and RedHat representing the parent of each. They share a kernel, a windowing system, DM/WM's.... but they are two distinct trees.....

Even down to where config files are etc....

Debian has been forever held back commercially by not wanting to be commercial.... but has been exploited by Xandros, Lindows et al

What has always been missing is an installer and apart from commercial ones the choice as been hard. However the new breed of knoppix derived distro's changes all this.... they are free and easy.

But what of the wider context ?????

I don't know right now so lets get some more input

ANYONE ????

I can't find fault! 

Im not sure what I zink but you can't really argue the logic. 

The negative side is that I actually believe its good for linux to be so fractionated.... a constantly moving target that MS cant shoot. 

At the same time Ive been getting down to deb lately and it is simply better by many metrics (except perhaps the INSTALL). 

I have pondered on a few things since trying knoppix....

Basically I have come yto convince myself that the reason Knoppix works so well is the Stable debian base. 

The problem with RH is simply that as stated by Perens the whole commerical model doesn't work in terms of providing patches and backporting to stable VS selling the new version.... I actually posted this somewhere yesterday! 

This is probably the single factor that makes debian superior......

Its existance as a stable base with updates is the basis for many other distro's. 

The UPGRADE works ... at least MUCH better than Mandrake. 

Linux has two Trees with Debian and RedHat representing the parent of each.  They share a kernel, a windowing system, DM/WM's.... but they are two distinct trees.....

Even down to where config files are etc....

Debian has been forever held back commercially by not wanting to be commercial.... but has been exploited by Xandros, Lindows et al

What has always been missing is an installer and apart from commercial ones the choice as been hard.  However the new breed of knoppix derived distro's changes all this.... they are free and easy. 

But what of the wider context ?????

I don't know right now so lets get some more input

ANYONE ????

I have also heard nothing but great reviews on debian...except the installer. I've been wanting to try debian for some time now but I don't feel confident enough with my linux skills yet to try and tackle that project. You summary definately makes me want to try it sometime in the near future though :D

Mark

Just try the download of knoppix 3.3 or if you wait another week 3.4!

Ive been suitably impressed, (peeps how about you)

You don't need to install anything and can try it, mess about and break things while learning....

I mean to try PCLinuxOs too, but its just time....

What really impresses me are some of the config tools,

Like the netcarddetect ....

Its just very cool (if partly in german under knoppix) but you can solve that by just apt-getting the latest one. (Dont be put off by that, it just gives you a choice of configuring netwerkkart o or netwerkcart 1 etc. and the rest is all in English....)

What really cool is when you run it with a wireless card it finds it and prompts you to set up the wireless params like essid ... automatically.

And its done in a more standard way than the mandrake wizards (no eth0:9 for the ppp0)

It scans the NIC's to find a pppoe modem for instance and then sets it up.....

This makes it all very pleasant.....

When you install it to HDD its a little quirky. Its all SYS V init and I haven't yet found anyway to edit it without doing it by hand....

Anyway, its a 700MB download but you get 2GB of software cos its compressed.