Download Box

North London Lad

I’ve been using my Notebook as my sole computer and feel its now time to try something new and cheap. I’ve done a bit of research and think I will go for a Mandrake Linux OS. :lol:

I live in the UK and was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a cheap desktop. That I can connect to my TV.

Any useful help or advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

:help:

:mdk:

Edited by North London Lad

You could try building it yourself, as it tends to work out a bit cheaper and you get to choose exactly what you want. If you do I would recommend not buying anything too exotic as it could make setting up Linux harder.

As for pre-built systems I've had good experiences with www.cclcomputers.co.uk

Note:

Evesham used to sell desktops with Linux pre-installed, which got good write ups. Sadly they've ditched the range.

Edit:

If you're only going to use it as a secondary system, have you thought about buying a second machine?

Edited by mtweidmann

If you're only going to use it as a secondary system, have you thought about buying a second machine?

Thanks for your advice I will have good look at that site. :lol:

What I want is to get a download box that lets me surf the web and use the media functions on my TV B) . But I also want it to be a new learning experience :o so I can get a feel for the Linux world. The majority of the advice I have received is that the Mandrake Linux OS would be a good place to start. :unsure:

Once again thank for your help.

There are easier linux distributions for this and harder ones.

but you say " But I also want it to be a new learning experience "

the harder ones involve this learning experience up-front ... but force you to learn

the easier ones .. well you can do that from a live distro without even installing ... but your not likely to learn anything until you want it to do something else. Then its likely to be harder.

Mandrake fits somewhere inbetween,

Its noobie friendly and extentable.....

If you wana learning experience then starting building your own machine is a good way.

You learn whats in it and what it does! and this is handy later!