USB support in Linux installations(redhat,mandrake

dustinpn

Why do these NEVER work for me? The mouse will work halfway through then just stop or not work at all. Same with the keyboard, but it seems to have a much higher failure rate. I was bored and decided to reinstall linux tonight (mandrake) and I can't even get passed the mouse detection thing. As soon as it boots into the cd installation wizard neither the mouse or keyboard will work, but it will go on automatically after like 15 seconds. When in the first part of the installation where you configure the basic stuff the mouse will work and sometimes (not frequently) the keyboard. After this step the mouse/keyboard will likely just stop responding and I can't get any futher. Or other times the installation will just hang completely. What the hell is wrong with it or why does Linux hate me so much?

Forgot to mention that this same problem has happened on two different computer configurations (completely different motherboards) and that USB support is enabled on bootup in the bios. USB works perfectly in windows and when it boots. Just not in the Linux installation wizard.

Another thing: did you unplug any other device that may complicate things, webcams, printers, scanners, etc?

I just installed mdk10beta2, and during the installation, as was already known, my usb mouse didn't function.

But: very nice: after booting the installed system, both my ps2 AND my usb mouse work! Normally I'd have to mess in the xf86config, not this time.

BTW kernel 2.6 has much improved usb support.

Using 9.2

Turns out my usb devices were disabled in the bios, but the same problems continued with them on or off. Text installation seems to work, but now im having problems pulling files off the cd :(

Going to check into installing it from my other HD today and hope it works.

If you search all the posts with "USB" key word. You will see this is a common problem. I still have it and cannot presently fix it.

What I found is that if you hit escape as your booting before your keyboard locks up, you will see failed line items at the usb line and possibly insmode errors. What's weird with mine is some times it comes up fine and the next boot, its broke.

Some times I can even start the box with the keyboard unplugged, the box will fully boot, plug the keyboard in and the keyboard will work. Doesn't work for the mouse. You may want to try this.

I, like you, have tried all the suggestions above with no change. I'll follow this one closely to see if you get it resolved. \

I think this is a big killer for 9.2. If you can't get in the front door, how can you live there?

One thing to check is if you are really resetting the USB (and everything else) between tries.

Often a reset/reboot doesn't do the same as a full powerdown/unplug and reboot.

Some devices seem not to be reinitialised on some PC's.

When things are not consistent on a PC its really confusing...

when something doesn't work at all you know where to look but when it seems quasi-random its a pain!!!

And of course it should be consistent.... if it isn't your doing something different!!!

(and the gotcha is often resetting all devices)

Its also tempting to go along when soemthing starts working for a while....

Unfortunately this just leads to probs later... if its been inconsistent you'll eventually recreate the conditions and it will happen again....