Setup Configuration

Okay here is my uber n00b question of the day. First off I am running 9.2 on a Toshiba Satellite notebook, Pentium 4, Nvidia videocard.

Anyway I get to the login screen, put in my user name a password then it says

"[matthew@creswell-s217h222 matthew] $"

after this I type "startx" and it gives me back an error message. How do I get around this or is there something wrong with my system?

post-7-1076366506.jpg

Edited by MillerTime

There's a few things you can do. First try booting up and logging in at the command line as before. Then run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# XFdrake

That's the graphics configuration program which is similar to what you should have seen during the install. There is no mouse support so you navigate through the menus with the keyboard. Using this you can reset your graphics card, monitor, resolution, ect. and test the changes you make with the test button. Keep trying til you get a satisfactory test.

Nvidia cards need special drivers for optimal performance. The built in ones that come with linux will not give you satisfactory 3d performance and may not even work on the newest nvidia cards. Post your specific card so I can see if this applies.

Edited by pmpatrick

okay I got my shit straightened out now I'm just trying to get my display to work right. I have a GeForce FX Go5600 and according to my systems folder my monitor is a plug and play. I put these into the config and the test yields an error. My notebook is a Toshiba Satellite...does anyone what what I am suppose to set my config to?

Did you do the command that bvc suggested?

Try it when you boot up, after you log in: rpm -qa | grep XFree86 and rpm -qa | grep libxfree86 and see if they return any files.

On my system, those commands return:

> rpm -qa | grep XFree86
XFree86-xfs-4.4-0.902.3mdk
XFree86-4.4-0.902.3mdk
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.4-0.902.1mdk
XFree86-server-4.4-0.902.3mdk
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.4-0.902.1mdk
> rpm -qa | grep libxfree86
libxfree86-4.4-0.902.3mdk
libxfree86-devel-4.4-0.902.3mdk

The version numbers will most likely be different, but all or most of those files should be present on your system. If they're not, su to root and type

urpmi XFree86 -a

and install X. Then run XFdrake and configure your monitor and graphics card.

^^ okay so I try this and here is what it's telling me

rpm -qa l grep XFree86 -> XFree86-4.3-23mdk & grep-2.5.1-3mdk

rpm -qa l grep libxfree86 -> libxfree86-4.3-23mdk & grep-2.5.1-3mdk

okay so then I type...

su

password

urpmi XFree86-a

set screen to generic 1600x1200, Nvidia GeForce FX, resolution to 1600x1200 and it returns with a fatal server error: no screens found. It also spit back a XI0: fatal I0 error 104 on server X, and x auth:error on locking authority.

I'm beginning to think it is my toshiba being fussy and not liking MDK :wall:

Edited by MillerTime

Believe it or not, that's actually really good.

If you have internet access on that machine from your linux command line, type this after you log in:

wget http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

If you don't, download the file through other means and get it to your laptop's linux install (You can download the file in Windows, then access it from Linux)

Once that has finished, su to root and type:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Make sure you're in the directory where the drivers are located.

To install the nvidia drivers (make sure you have the kernel source installed, you can get it here)

After that, you need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, so we type

vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

as root. Look for a section that looks like this:

Section "Device" 
Identifier "device1" 
VendorName "NVidia" 
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForceFX"
Driver "nv" 
Option "DPMS" 
EndSection

Once you get there, press i on your keyboard (for insert mode) and change it to look like this:

Section "Device" 
Identifier "device1" 
VendorName "NVidia" 
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForceFX" 
Driver "nvidia" 
Option "DPMS" 
EndSection

After you have done that, press the Esc key, then type :wq and hit enter (colon, w, q)

Then type exit to exit out of superuser mode and type startx. You should then be greeted with the nvidia splash screen followed by drakfirsttime

Enjoy!

During my install disk1 went off without a hitch, then disk2 starts and starts throwing errors so I hit cancel and stopped the install there and figured I'd download the rest once I got mdk up and running. So it looks like I'm going to need to go back and install disk1 again and then try and install disk3? my disk2 has screwed up twice off two different CD's so my burner software or my burner are not the problem.

I'll try and install disk1, skip disk2, install disk3, and see where I end up. I suppose it can't get more screwed up that it is now so I might as well.