Kernel config'ing

I'm configuring my own custom 2.6 kernel :jester: , slowly as I'm reading up on every option; I'd like to add only those things I need, but I don't know what most of them are! :cheesy:

Are there any resources out there that lay out what each option is to a greater degree than the kernel's help? I find it less than informative sometimes.

Also, are there any resources for explaining how to find out these esoteric things about my hardware? E.g. cpu microcode, bios enhanced disk drive, acpi v. apm...?

Thanks in advance.

OK, it's decided.  I'm going to go crawl in a hole; maybe I'll come out with a bit of smarts.  Sheesh!

:lol:

that's funny!

Seriously though, knowing that the doc dir was there I didn't look at it for a long time myself. No biggy :D

Edited by bvc

One of the best wys to figure it out is to experiment - it can be quite time consuming, but it will give you more clues. When something breaks and you go back to your kernel config, you now know what the context for that option is.

Also - the basic principle is that anything not essential at boot time should be a module. File system support is needed at boot time ;)

Well, now that I've looked at the doc directory, I'm only slightly more informed. I'm still pretty in the dark about most things and the docs therein assume a level of know-how that I don't really have. Example: I'm unsure exactly how my CD-ROM drive is connected to my motherboard; do I have ATAPI? Other such questions abound. Where can I figure this stuff out?

Here's one: I'm using menuconfig to configure these options. Can I quit the program and come back to it with my selections saved?

Edited by Andrewski

Hi

Local resources:

dmesg

lspci -vv

dmidecode (lm-sensors)

/proc (cat some files in here)

/sys (cat in here)

/var/log/... (tail -f, less files in here)

Kernel config:

Why not start by installing a cooker 2.6 kernel

(make sure you can compile/install/boot it)

and use it's mdk .config as model to then tweak.

I diff'ed 2.4-2.6 .config files and winged it

removing a lot of not used stuff, it worked.

Took a look at /usr/src/linux/README ?

- Alternate configuration commands are:

Have you tried make xconfig ?

Test it ?

cd /usr/src/linux

cp .config config-test

make ...

I lost 2.4 kernel .../Documentation/Configure.help file in 2.6 !?

hih

When you exit the config program (menuconfig xconfig, whatever) you will be asked if you want to save your configuration. SAy yes and you will have all your choices in a file called .config

This will be read and used for defaults whenever you re-run the configs - so, yes, your previous choices are savec