KDE 3.2

Ok, there are two things you can try. The first one should install w/out a problem, but might blow up your system ;-)

1.)

#su

#passwd

#init 3

#cd /were/ever/kde32/is

#rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.i586.rpm

#init 5

2.) If you have apt4rpm installed, you can go this route. (might be safe & easy)

http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/kde31to32.html

cool!

Lets us lmow how they work. I plan to get a new hd today and will be reinstalling suse9pro and will give it a go.

Got the new 120gb hd. I did a minimal install of ML-beta1 cd1 and up'd to beta2. When I installed suse I told it to mount mandrake's /usr to /mlusr and I guess it decided to assume I meant /usr, as if a typo or something, and it overwrote ml's /usr/ Originally I threw suse in the trash. Now it's at the back of a file cabinet. So this is why you don't see me posting my results. Just thought I'd mention this. :D

cool!

Lets us lmow how they work. I plan to get a new hd today and will be reinstalling suse9pro and will give it a go.

Got the new 120gb hd. I did a minimal install of ML-beta1 cd1 and up'd to beta2. When I installed suse I told it to mount mandrake's /usr to /mlusr and I guess it decided to assume I meant /usr, as if a typo or something, and it overwrote ml's /usr/ Originally I threw suse in the trash. Now it's at the back of a file cabinet. So this is why you don't see me posting my results. Just thought I'd mention this. :D

:lol: that sucks man, definately not a good time. So far my experience with SuSE has been a good one (thanks to you guys helping me ;) ) I'm anxious to test out mandrak 10 when it comes out...hopefully it will support my SiS900 onboard ethernet chipset this time around :D

Thanks for the info cyberjackle, I'll give that stuff a try when I get home tonight from work/class :D

Mark

UPDATE:

I tried this:

#su
#passwd
#init 3
#cd /were/ever/kde32/is
#rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.i586.rpm
#init 5

seemed to along just fine, seemed as if all the rpms were pretty much finished...then my screen went black. The hdd light stayed on fro about another minute or two after that then stopped. I figured nothing was happening so I rebooted. Now my layout seems different (possible kde 3.2 change/??) how do I check to veryify exactly what version I'm runnning?

Mark

Well here is my review of kde 3.2, now keep in mind that I am a noob so my opinion may vary drastically from what yours may be. The gui was great looking and it had soooooooo many new options, actually maybe too many options. While all these new options coudl allow me to configure stuff with ease it also made the desktop environment seem rather cluttered and hard to navigate at times. KDE 3.2 also seems like it could be a resource hog, but I could be very wrong on this as welll. I'm now back using gnome since I think it's a bit more clean and easy for me to get around on. I do recommend that you try KDE 3.2 though, you may love it.

Mark

I'm now back using gnome since I think it's a bit more clean and easy for me to get around on.

:o ....4 days.....all that work.....and one day you're back in gnome? :huh:

Just giving you a hard time, man ;)

learning if anything, right? Linux is fun!....if you let it be fun! Have fun! :thumbs:

I'm in suse now :unsure: .....couldn't resist you know with all this new hd space :D . Well, on to Mandrake, Debian, Slack, and LFS :thumbs:

I'm now back using gnome since I think it's a bit more clean and easy for me to get around on.

:o ....4 days.....all that work.....and one day you're back in gnome? :huh:

Just giving you a hard time, man ;)

learning if anything, right? Linux is fun!....if you let it be fun! Have fun! :thumbs:

I'm in suse now :unsure: .....couldn't resist you know with all this new hd space :D . Well, on to Mandrake, Debian, Slack, and LFS :thumbs:

:lol: yeah, after all that work it didnt' take me that long to go back to gnome. In fact, I actually reinstalled suse after that :P I spend on average 4 hours a night toying around with linux. I figure the more times I iinstall it, toy around with it, and break it the more I'll learn :D and to telll the truth I'm actually having A LOT of fun with it :thumbs: