MNF Installation Question

Windependent

I have a couple of questions related to the installation of MNF. Unfortunately, I'm using the download version of MNF, for which there are no manuals. If I'm wrong about this, and there are indeed manuals available for the download version, please let me know!

I have come across the following problems/questions during installation:

1. Is it safe to have a broadband connection to a PC upon which MNF is being installed? Does the installation routine keep all ports closed during the install process, so that its safe to be connected via broadband during installation, or should you keep the broadband connection disconnected until MNF installation is complete? I've tried it both ways, and run into different problems each way.

In my case, I want to install MNF on a freestanding PC with an empty hard disk. The machine will be configured as a firewall/proxy for a LAN, and it will ultimately proivde the LAN with a DSL connection to the internet. (I won't hook up any of the other LAN PCs to the same switch until the installtion is completed).

2. Is it normal to get an "eth0 failure - no link" during the install process? In my case, I have a DSL modem that establishes an ethernet link to the NIC(green "link" light are on at both the modem and NIC). The phone company advises me that my DSL signal is on (which is confirmed by a green "sync" LED that is on at the modem), even though the ISP hasn't turned on service yet.

During Install and subsequent boots, I get the following error:

eth0: FAILED -- no link -- check cable

eth1: OK

Interestingly, both NICS are the exact same card, a D-Link DFE-530TX+. I know that its not a problem with the NIC because I've tried the obvious tricks of switching cables, shuffling the PCI cards around in the slots, etc. Both cards use the same drivers. The good news is that Windows works with both cards without any problems, so I'm beginning to think it could be a linux problem.

Is this a MNF/linux problem, or is it a problem that's caused by the lack of DHCP coming into the modem from the ISP? Will I will continue to get an eth0 link failure until the DSL service is turned on and Verizon allocates an IP address to the modem/NIC?

3. During shutdown, I get the following errors:

IPLOG Shutdown - FAIL

PPOE/PPD Shutdown - FAIL

Am I correct in assuming that I'm getting the errors at shutdown because the services were never brought up as a result of the eth0 failure at bootup? Will these failures go away as soon as the DSL is on?

Sorry to be asking such basic questions, but due to the lack of any documentation available for MNF, I can't use the RTFM approach!

thanks for your insights!

bob

windependant,

i cant answer your specific questions as i have never used MNF. i did however find the howto's, enjoy. hope this helps. http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux.../MNF-User.html/ http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux...F-Booklet.html/