Setting up AD1888

Thorvan

Heyas

Am trying to setup the file that ASUS provides for the AD1888 card on my mobo ... I download it and untar it with tar -xvzf alsa-driver-0.9.1adi.tgz and it does all that right. Then when I follow the next command ./configure --with-cards=intel8x0 and it goes fine until ... I get the following error:

checking for kernel version... The file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h d oes not exist.

Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution

or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel

sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

No idea what to do ;) So any help would be appreciated!

I am guessing that you haven't got the kernel source package installed. Open up the Mandrake Software Installer and do a search for "kernel". Look down the list until you see a package called kernel source or kernel devel (check thedescription as well as name) and then install it. You will need to make sure its the right sorce code for you kernel, the easiest way doing this is making sure that the rpm comes from the install CD.

You need this package/s because Mandrake is a pre-compiled rpm based distribution. that means that all the software is compiled and ready to go, unlike Gentoo where you compile everyhting yourself. There are essentially 3 types of rpm; compiled, src, and devel. Compiled is pretty obvious, src is just source code. Devel packages are there to be installed along side the compiled rpms, they provide all the header files etc that are needed to compiler other software (like your driver) that require the thing you installing. Things are slightly different in this case but thats basically the problem (I think).

Okay ... well I goto software packages installation, and search kernel. But I don't get a match with source or devel.

I get ...

kernel2.4-marcelo-2.4.22-1mdk

kernel-doc-2.4.22-10mdk

kernel-doc-html-2.4.22-1mdk

kernel-doc-pdf-2.4.22-1mdk

kernel-doc-ps-2.4.22-1mdk

kernel-enterprise-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-i686-up-dadada

kernel-p3-smp-dadada

kernel-secure-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-smp-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk

I Must be looking in the wrong spot if there is I guess ...

I go Configure > Install Software which starts rpmdrake "Software Install Manager" ... I forget what its called off my head ... type in kernel and don't get a source match. So unless its just on the cd and I'm not getting a match ..........?

Else I guess I'll just try for that rpm ... bah

Why a tarball? Is the driver for your card not in the mdk.rpm's on the cd's/mirrors? Then there's no need for kernel-source ^_^

that's why I asked the above. Do you know the exact name of the driver that is suppose to work for your card? Got any links to ASUS and what they have to say?

You mention an AD1888 but don't see that anywhere. It could be that you have to go this route (driver from asus and kernel-source) and that's fine, we can work with that too. I'm just tired of seeing poeple go about things the hard way with tarballs on an rpm-based distro when there's almost alway an rpm that's much less painful.

Ok, I understood: you have the cd's but didn't configure urpmi for websources. This is why you don't have the kernel sources to install.

You can either check any mirror with the mandrake rpms or add your sources (will dload some 10 MB or more) and henceforth be able to install 3 GB more of software at the click of a mouse or urpmi command.

Check my website for setup of urpmi (config page, link page).

Thanks guys .. I'm running 2.4.22-10mdk and this is the only way I could find to get sound working with this card unfortunately. And I shall update my sources later,thanks for the info artee ... being on 56k big downloads aren't what I call fun, I figure I'll set it up so I can snooze while it does it ...

Edited by Thorvan