Mandrake Hangs at: configuring kernel parameters

Wriker

Hello:

I recently got my hands on a Compaq Presario 1500T laptop that had a blank harddrive. I installed Mandrake 10 beta without trouble, but when I rebooted the laptop it hung at configuring kernel parameters.

From my research on the web it could be the sysetm clock, not sure. I'm trying to set the time in the bios of this machine but there doesn't appear to be a way to do so. My questions are:

1.) Does hanging in this spot mean their is a problem with the system clock?

2.) Is their possibly another cause? I've loaded different kernels with the same luck.

3.) Is there something missing in the BIOS as in a SOFTPaq from Compaq? I've checked their site and I'm not sure this machine has one of those (Softpaq being a part of the bios located on the harddrive).

Any tips or suggestions would be very helpful. I appreciate your taking the time to view this post.

Thanks,

Wriker :afro:

How old is the laptop you have, and what CPU does it have as well as RAM?

Are you just wanna try out Mandrake 10 or do you want to permantly use Mandrake on that laptop? Then I would go for 9.2 and see if that one works.

I think the laptop is about a year old. P4 2.2 chip, 256 meg of ram. This laptop will be Mandrake only. I've 9.2 CDs but the drive doesn't like my burned copies even though they work great on all the desktops. So that is why I'm going for the betas right now until I can get a different set of 9.2s.

Thanks,

Wriker

it means the kernel isn't happy about something. But what? Have you tried any kernel parameters? Like....

linux acpi=off noapic splash=quiet vga=normal

When lilo appears press Esc, type the above IF the lilo menu entry is still linux, and hit enter.