usb key

arthur

I got a flash memory usb key that I use instead of floppies, and my box seems to have problems with it.

I can mount and unmount it manually, but I have to do that as root (it's /dev/sda) and I can access its contents, but only as root.

I've tried editing my /etc/fstab file to make normal users access it, but I always "hotplug" this drive and I don't want to boot my computer with it connected. Supermount seems to have problems. I'm thinking whether I should compile a 2.6 kernel maybe it'll work better with USB.

I could continue working as before, but, it's not a good idea to work as root very frequently. Any advice appreciated. In the meantime I'll get to work compiling the 2.6 kernel.

:juggle:

Edited by arthur

Look where its being mounted with an ls -l (in /mnt)

what are the permissions of the directotry being mounted ??

They are recurise to the mount so if its ro for everyone but root the fs under it will be too.

in fstab make sure you designate it user. then a normal user can mount it .

supermount //// hmm If i had a cent for every problem with upermount Id be sitting on my own island.

my memory is famously unreliable... I forgot that root created the folder.

Thanks, I'll try it. Btw, anyone who's tried Cooker 10.0? How's supermount there? I'll compile 2.6 anyway, I got a lot of USB devices that might benefit from its reportedly better usb performance.

I wonder if this version of supermount gives less trouble then?

http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/

Supermount mostly works great for me, althought it doesn't seem to like the usb-camera of my brother. Maybe my fault ... Once used to it mounting andf unmounting is not so difficult, but supermount is some easier .... if it works for you ofcourse :).

hmmm...I have a USB digital camera which I use to transfer stuff to windoze occasionally (If I try to edit my site in linux, it gets really screwed up...I use some weird symbols (something like a cross between {{ and <<) and they show up as a '?' if I edit it in linux :-S)...I don't feel like booting to root to drop it in my windoze folder...so I use my camera...never have any probs with that...

Edited by Urza9814