Strange connect error in samba

Guest Liono

I've been trying to set up a home network with my 2 computers. One is running win98se, the other is running linux mandrake 9.0. Now, I've managed to set up samba far enough so that my linux computer's icon pops up in the network neighborhood on the windows pc. However, when I click on it, it gives me some error about "The specified computer did not recieve your request, try again later". The network is working fine however, and the linux computer can access all the windows's computer's shares. I've tried a lot of fiddling with the samba settings, but this doesn't seem to fix the problem. And I'm not running a firewall either, btw. Any help would be welcome, as I'm kind of a n00b in linux(just got it a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it!).

I think the Mandrake default firewall is enabled by default so openning port 137 to 139 would be great for sure. You can do that by opening the MCC (Mandrake Control Center), clic 'Security', 'Firewall' and finally clic the 'Advanced' button and enter the following ports:

137/tcp 137/udp 138/tcp 138/udp 139/tcp 139/udp

If you are always online then you'll not want people to be able to see your local network hey. So to 'hide' these ports from the outside open a konsole and su to root (su + password). Then edit the shorewall rule file (vi /etc/shorewall/rules) and remove the port you just entered from the lines starting with 'ACCEPT net'. Here are my udp and tcp line.. as you can see you don't see 137, 138 and 139. This is to 'stealth' the samba ports to the net.

ACCEPT  net     fw      udp     4662,6891,6892  -

ACCEPT  net     fw      tcp     80,443,22,4662,6891,6892  -

Here you see ports 80, 443, 22 .. blablabla because I run Apache and other stuff.. But if you don't run those softwares then you should not bother. The only thing you need to know is that port 137 to 139 SHOULD NOT be it 'ACCEPT net' line in your shorewall rules file to hide these ports from the net. Now save the changes (press the escape button and enter ':wq' and press enter) and restart shorewall by typing 'service shorewall restart'. Your samba server is now stealth from the net but fully accessible from your local network :-D

You should also post your smb.conf here so that we can look at it.

Finally you should give a bit more specifications about your hardware config... like how much ethernet cards you have, how your win98 box is linked to your Mdk 9 box.. etc.

MOttS

Hmmm...I've uninstalled all the firewalls from my pc and it still doesn't work. For some reason, I can access it from linux on 127.0.0.1, but I can't access it from linux on 10.0.0.98(which is it's ip address), which leads me to believe that I have some kind of messed up network setting somewhere blocking samba calls on the local(class c) network. I've got 1 realtek ethernet card, and the 2 boxes are connected directly using a switch cable. I connect to the net using dialup.

EDIT: I just downloaded the latest samba bugfix, now everything works fine! I just created the user on my windows pc, set the samba server to encrypted passwords, converted the user with smbpasswd, and it worked! w00t!