Long time before init starts

neutro

My Mandrake 9.1 install boots quite fast. That is, once init is running.

When I boot up, I'd say there's a ~20 sec. delay between the moment where I press "enter" in LILO and the moment where I see init starting. During this delay, the disk access LED is flashing.

I have a reasonably fast computer (XP 1800+, ATA-100 disk, 512 MB DDR), but I am running Mandrake 9.1's stock kernel. I was simply wondering if this delay between LILO and init loading (I guess this is where the kernel image is loaded and bootstrapped) is normal.

9.1 was quirky with startup. It really depends on too many things to say. It's not really kernel related though, but more likely initscripts. Even when I would get updates and the boot would be fast, the next set of updates would make it slow again. 9.2-->10 however has consistantly been fast.

I wouldn't say it is normal

That's what I thought ;)

It's not really kernel related though, but more likely initscripts.

Probably not: the delay is *before* init starts. My understanding is that after the kernel being loaded in memory, init (pid = 1) is the first thing to run, and is resbonsible to start all initscripts. Beside, most of these scripts I believe produce a visual output (which I can see, later).

I would get updates and the boot would be fast, the next set of updates would make it slow again.

Interesting...

Edited by neutro

20 seconds! Is that all? Mine takes far longer than that and I have a 2.5GHz Athlon!

However, the reason it does this is simple.

In between starting lilo and Init appearing the system (among other things) checks the hard drives and devices reported by the machine's BIOS to find out what they are etc. (look in the /var/log/messages - you need to be root)

My mother board, an ASUS A7N8X - Delux reports 6 harddrives:

hda - my first hard drive

hdb - my second hard drive

hdc - my cd burner

hdd - my dvd player

these are not a problem since they exist.

It also reports two other drives

hde, hdg which are part of the serial ATA RAID system (if you choose to use it).

Now, there are no drives on this RAID system, but because the BIOS has reported their existance the operating system keeps tying to communicate with each of them and it tries for ages until it eventually gives up and moves on to continue with the boot process

Here's an extract from my messages. I have marked the lines >>>>

------------------------------------

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: NFORCE2: chipset revision 162

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: NFORCE2: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: AMD_IDE: Bios didn't set cable bits corectly. Enabling workaround.

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: AMD_IDE: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE UDMA133 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller on pci00:09.0

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: SiI3112 Serial ATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:0b.0

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: SiI3112 Serial ATA: chipset revision 2

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: SiI3112 Serial ATA: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide2: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide3: MMIO-DMA , BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hda: Maxtor 6Y080P0, ATA DISK drive

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hdb: Maxtor 6Y080P0, ATA DISK drive

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: blk: queue c0181bc0, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: blk: queue c0181cfc, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hdc: ARTEC WRR-52Z 1.15 20030107, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hdd: AOPEN DVD1648/LKY, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

>>>>Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hde: no response (status = 0xfe)

>>>>Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hdg: no response (status = 0xfe)

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hda: attached ide-disk driver.

Feb 2 15:35:07 vince kernel: hda: host protected area => 1

------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, I cannot disable these drives in the BIOS (even though it says that they are disabled) so the boot process always checks them out.

Other devices that might cause boot delays are unused on-board lan, you might want to disable them in the BIOS if you don't use them.

Is it not possible to switch off the RAID (done by a jumper on my mobo) and just use the channel as standard SATA? If you have lots of time to spare you could attempt to recompile the kernel without RAID support - could stop it, could also be a waste of time. :D

vincentv, you probably have a good point.

I use an Asus A7V266 mobo with two IDE controllers (8 possible IDE devices).

My configuration is quite simple now (it's been much more crowded in the past!):

First controller (Promise controller, not configurable through BIOS):

-------------------------

hda - primary HD

hdb - secondary HD

hdc - unused

hdd - unused

Second controller (configurable through BIOS):

--------------------------

hde - dvd player

hdf - cd burner

hdg - unused (set to 'None' instead of 'Auto' in BIOS)

hdh - unused (set to 'None' instead of 'Auto' in BIOS)

I set hdg and hdg (that is, secondary master and slave) to 'None' instead of 'Auto' in BIOS in an attempt to reduce boot time, without any effect.

Yet I managed to find how to increase verobsity during boot-up (removing the "quiet" argument in the appropriate lilo.conf entry) and I can see that the choking point is here:

hdg: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)

hdg: no response (status = 0x0e), resetting drive

hdg: no response (status = 0x0e)

hdh: IRQ probe failed (0xfffffff8)

hdh: no response (status = 0x0e), resetting drive

hdh: no response (status = 0x0e)

This happens regardless of the BIOS settings for hdg or hdh (Auto or None). Note also that there is nothing about IRQ probing of hdc and hdd in /var/log/dmesg.

Well if anybody know how to speed this up (bypassing IRQ probing on hdg and hdh?), tell me...