Setting TV-Out Options Correctly

Little_Kenny

Ok,

Decided to finally try Linux and figured I'd make it easy on myself by using some not so standard hardware. :)

I started to install Mandrake 9.2 on my Shuttle SN41G2 today. It is used as jukebox so it's monitor is my TV. Started the install and everything, including TV-Out, went great until it came time to setup video settings for XFree. I opted to use version 4.3. There was no specific choice for TV as an output device but I chose a suitably small resolution, 800x600, and hoped for the best. The best wasn't so hot. When it went to load into the desktop, KDE, the output displayed on the tv looks like it had refresh rate problems. I went to Nvidias site to look into the issue and while I did find some settings to try changing in XF86Config-4 file they didn't have any effect, or at least no effect I could see.

What are some normal settings for TV-Out in the XF86Config-4 file?

Ill find them tonight for ya....

There is a nvidia utility that can do this...

It comes with knoppix and it worked for me so ill see what it puts in the xfree86 file :D

You could let XFree try and guess, its only a minute and if it works it works....

try

XFree86 -configure (or --configure)

then follow the instructions.....

make sure dm is stopped (i.e. ALT+F2 and login as root then init 3)

Is it ONLY X ???

i.e. do you get all the bootup options ????

I finally tried your suggestion of using XFree and it gave the same result as before.

As to your other questions, I think I see all the boot options. I go through the standard linux installation for 9.2 and when it starts the XFree setup portion for my video there is no option to choose TV-Out from the main menu of selections. I can only choose from a number of regular CRT resolutions or from some LCD resolutions. Neither of those types set up the TV-Out correctly. This is the first time since I posted the original question that I have had a chance to jump back in there and try again.

I'm relatively comfortable editting the XF86 config file, but I just need some examples of how to get the sucker set up right for TV-Out. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

ken

Thanks. Tried YanC and it gave me an error stating that my drivers either weren't installed or too old.

Since my original install I went back a version to Manddrake 9.1. I did this because Nvidia had a driver package already put into an RPM for this version of Mandrake. (I just couldn't figure out how to make my own RPM for 9.2, yet, and I was getting frustrated.) I was able to install 9.1 and I thought the Nvidia drivers, but I'm thinking now I didn't get the Nvidia update done quite right. So since it's late I'll try again tomorrow and again hope for better results.

One plus though. With the previous version of Mdk I wasn't able to get the built in networking up and running, but I was with this version so that's a huge plus.

-lk

Ok. I'm at work (supposedly working, but linux has taken to buzzing around my brain now while I do other things) and I have this amazing revelation. I still haven't gotten the TV-Out to work. In fact after much searching on my system I can't even find an Nvidia video driver. (No wonder X keeps crashing and saying it can't find an 'nvidia' module after I change the XF86Config-4 file from 'nv') Anyway I had assumed, and now I think incorrectly, that when I downloaded the nForce drivers from Nvidia that they also included video drivers. I'm now thinking otherwise. I'm thinking that they only addressed stuff like network, USB type stuff and that video drivers are indeed separate.

So here is my new thought. I should download the specific video drivers for Nvidia/Linux, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run, and then follow the instructions contained on Nvidia's site.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of attack? :)

Is this going to getting me further along the road to Nirvana? Or at least to having the TV-Out work?

-lk

Well I guess the luck was with me, mostly.

So the solution to my problem of setting up TV-Out.

1) Make sure to really install the Nvidia "Video" drivers. (check)

2) Once Nvidia drivers installed make sure the XF86Config-4 file has been changed to point to the new "nvidia" drivers in place of the "nv" drivers. (check)

2) Download the YanC rpm file. (check)

3) Install the YanC rpm. (check)

4) Run YanC and with it enable Twin View. (Check)

5) Restart X and watch my output being displayed to my ..........TV! Yay!!

:woops: and then wonder why it won't display on the LCD monitor that's plugged in too but then not really care too much since the original plan was just to get the TV-Out working. :lol:

Thank you to johhnv for pointing me to YanC.

And if Gowator would still like to post an example XF86Config-4 file that displays to both the TV and the LCD monitor at the same time that would awesome too.

TV-Out == owned