What is a DCOP server?

kilimanjaro

I have tried the update-menus -v and it doesn't work. Everytime I try to change my menu I get:

ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!

What is going wrong and how do I fix it if the update doesn't work. I saw the other thread on this and there was a big long process that is supposed to fix it. If there isn't a better way to do this, I am going back to 9.1.

Can anyone tell me how to fix my menus?

have you gotten the security/bugfix updates for 9.2? if i'm not mistaken, somewhere in those updates is a fix for the menu problem. if you've done that already, then have you tried opening up the menu editor (right click Kicker icon->menu editor)? it should show all your menu items intact. just click "save" & let it rebuild the menus. you may have to reboot or restart KDE to make them viewable.

Chris

update all the menu and drak stuff. Ignore my versions...

menudrake-0.7.4-3mdk
mandrake-menu-directory-1.0-28mdk
mdk-menu-messages-9.2-8mdk
menu-2.1.9-7mdk
menudrake-0.7.4-3mdk
mandrake-menu-directory-1.0-28mdk
drakconf-10-0.1mdk
mandrake_desk-10.0-4mdk
mandrake-mime-0.4-7mdk
drakxtools-9.3-27mdk

I don't have a menu for rpmdrake and it won't do any updates through a terminal.

I have reinstalled 9.2 twice, and now 9.1 on my other harddrive is doing the same thing, I have also reinstalled it twice. Nothing I seem to do fixes the problem. This really makes me wonder about mandrake.

Mandrake isn't near as cool without menus.

hmmm......

i'm not understanding, perhaps. when you say.....

I don't have a menu for rpmdrake and it won't do any updates through a terminal.

what exactly are the commands you are using? if you want to get updates, in terminal, as root, type MCC then hit enter. this will bring up Mandrake Control Center. go to package installation (or software packages manager, whatever it's called) then click on "updates". choose a mirror if it gives you a choice, then get all updates it offers. if the mirror comes up empty, or won't connect, choose "sources manager" & remove the mirror you selcted, close that, then go back to updates & select another mirror until you find one that works.

Chris

Ok I have done my 6th reinstall since I have started having problems wiith menus. Now what do I do to fix the problem. I have been having the same problem in 9.1 and 9.2 . I have never had a problem with my menus before, I had it customized. I am not having any problems now, but I am afraid to change anything. How do I fix this?

ew

All I can say is get ALL updates. Really weird problem. :(

all the software tools can be launched from the commandline.

/usr/bin/MandrakeUpdate

/usr/bin/drakrpm

/usr/bin/drakrpm-edit-media

/usr/bin/drakrpm-remove

/usr/bin/drakrpm-update

/usr/bin/edit-urpm-sources.pl

/usr/bin/rpmdrake

/usr/bin/rpmdrake-remove