Automating Kernel Upgrades

jlc

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2102

I have not had a chance to try this out, but it looks COOL. :D

**WARNING**

If you use this and it blows up, damages or throws your linux box out the window, while flushing your toliet non-stop. Don't blame me. B)

**End of warning**

Some one test it out if they get a chance though. :D

i could never automate something like a kernel upgrade...that's nuts. Kinda defeats the purpose as well.

When you think about it, MDK/RH/SUSE/Gentoo/Slackware/Debian, blah blah blah in a sense automate the kernel updates for you, do they not? What ever app your using in them, says, "OH, new kernel update available, CLICK HERE", off it goes installs and tell you to reboot. Same thing only it's pulling from kernel.org instead of distro specific.

Obviously i'm generalizing, but in essence all those distros can and will update your kernel for you w/out much intervention from the user, no?

if you use such features B)

Ture, which we don't do much do we. ;)

It might help others though..

I did it for months in the begining. And it was a great way of keeping up to date with the security fixes ;)

Then I realised it's not that hard to compile the damned thing. And I just copy the old .config file from the old kernel... :lol2: