OpenOffice and Chinese i10n

xoox

Hi everyone.

I tried to make Chinese menus work with OpenOffice.org 1.1.0.

I use MK9.2 with German language settings as default.

For one user (A) I would like to set up a Chinese desktop. Using localedrake, I switched his settings to simplified Chinese and restarted KDE. For KDE itself, everything is fine and completely in Chinese. But OpenOffice.org starts with _French_ language settings.

On my system, I have i10n packages of German, English, French and Chinese languages for OpenOffice. I only can make the Chinese menus for user A work after removing all the other i10n packages, which is, of course, not a very satisfying solution. With German user settings, OO.org starts with German menus without problems, even with French, English and Chinese i10n-packages installed.

Is there a way to make OO.org work with Chinese menus? Right now, it seems that the Chinese i10n packages only work if there is no other i10n package installed.

Thanks for any suggestions

Chris

Have you set up a seperate user for chinese? I would then install the chinese while as that user, so that the settings would be in that user directory. The other option would be to install a seperate OO for that user.

You might want to double-check ~/.i18n (or mabe something similar?)

my wife's .il18n:

XIM=kinput2
LC_NAME=en_US
XIM_PROGRAM=kinput2
LC_NUMERIC=en_US
LC_MONETARY=en_US
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
LANG=ja_JP
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP
LC_PAPER=en_US
LC_TIME=ja_JP
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
LC_COLLATE=ja_JP
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 ##ja_JP fjh
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 ##ja_JP:ja fjh
XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
LC_ADDRESS=en_US
ENC=eucj

You can see how I changed a couple things (the ##'s) to English, becuase I'm the one who will be configuring stuff on her desktop, and I want the English menus and messages, even though her locale is set for Japanese. Hope this helps.

Edited by BooYah

Yes, I changed all locales with localedrake and kcontrol to Chinese (simplified) settings. I even created a totally new user to check if it works there. But it does not.

The .i18n file looks like this:

LANGUAGE=zh_CN.GB2312:zh_CN:zh
LC_ADDRESS=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=zh_CN.UTF-8
XIM=scim
LC_NAME=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_TIME=zh_CN.UTF-8
LANG=zh_CN
LC_IDENTIFICATION=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=zh_CN.UTF-8
CONSOLE_NOT_LOCALIZED=yes
ENC=utf8
LC_MONETARY=zh_CN.UTF-8
XIM_PROGRAM="scim"
LC_PAPER=zh_CN.UTF-8
XMODIFIERS="@im=scim"

It is mainly the standard .i18n that is generated by localedrake. So, it should work with the OpenOffice.org packages from Mandrake. I just changed the XIM to work with SCIM. it also does not work with a totally unchanged .i18n.

The LANG variable, which I think is used by OO.org to determine what i10n to choose, is set to "zh_CN". I have no clue why it does not work...

hmm

Have your tried exporting those settings in a terminal than calling OOo from that same terminal?

export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8
export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=zh_CN.UTF-8

What about the settings in OOo ? Tools->Options->Language Settings.

Thanks for the hint with the terminal.

oowriter --help reveals that the language is choosen from LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and/or LANG. Setting them all to de_DE changes the menus to German just the way it should. But setting them to zh_CN.UTF-8 just brings back the French menus.

Now, the good news is that zh_CN (without the UTF-8) works! As usual, the bad news follows instantaneously: Without the UTF-8 you get some other problems (e.g. Chinese characters in a terminal don't work any more) because Mandrake uses Unicode.

The solution is to change all entries of the OO.org applications in the K-Menu and add a --lang=zh_CN at the end, for example

oowriter --lang=zh_CN

Then OpenOffice Writer starts with Chinese menus. Apparently, OO.org does not recognize zh_CN.UTF-8

Thanks for your help

Chris

• 1 month later...
Guest Adriano
You might want to double-check ~/.i18n (or mabe something similar?)

my wife's .il18n:

<!--QuoteEBegin-->XIM=kinput2<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_NAME=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->XIM_PROGRAM=kinput2<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_NUMERIC=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_MONETARY=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LANG=ja_JP<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_CTYPE=ja_JP<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_PAPER=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_TIME=ja_JP<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_TELEPHONE=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_COLLATE=ja_JP<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 ##ja_JP fjh<!--QuoteEBegin-->LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 ##ja_JP:ja fjh<!--QuoteEBegin-->XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->LC_ADDRESS=en_US<!--QuoteEBegin-->ENC=eucj<!--QuoteEBegin-->

You can see how I changed a couple things (the ##'s) to English, becuase I'm the one who will be configuring stuff on her desktop, and I want the English menus and messages, even though her locale is set for Japanese. Hope this helps.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

I have been looking for this Bobdamn file for days. My problem was that I activated UTF-8 support on installation, and some of the characters were then mangled (spanish, you know... we have those cute accents and stuff). for example (if you can see this), á appeared as [] sometimes in Kmail.

Now I solved it!