D-link DFE-530TX+

mdemers883

Well guys I have a problem I can't get online (I"m on a laptop now)

My eth0 failed, I expected that though since it's my onboard SiS900 which I am not using. So once I got into mandrake I disabled it from startup.

I enabled eth1 on startup (D-link DFE-530TX+ ) and restarted.

eth1 hanged for quite a while on boot so I was expecting it to fail...but it didn't to my surprise. So when I got all up and running I tried going to google...didn't work.

So I went into the control center I believe or something similar and tried to make it connect. Made th system hang. So I went to the terminal and did a "ifconfig eth1 up" and it said the device was busy. I have it running dhcp as well.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is but I"m a bit frustrated, I"m hoping you guys can help me work through this. Is it something as simple as loading a certain driver? If so how do I do it?

As far as drivers go does mandrake have one built in that I could apply? I browsed the driver cd that came with the dlink card and it had a linux folder. I read the readme file in it was instructions on how to compile and use the driver for red hat 6.x, seemed very lengthy.

Also, on the side of the box that the card came in it says it's compatible with linux 2.2/2.4

Mark

Post your /etc/modules.conf file. Also, look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. There should be two configuration files there called ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1. Post them both.

Here's your problem. You have two nics and the autoconfiguration tools simply do not work well with two or more nics. Your going to have to do it by hand but it's not hard. Basically, you need to edit modules.conf to delete or comment out the line that loads the sis driver for eth0 and change the line for the other nic from eth1 to eth0 then delete the ifcfg-eth1 file and make sure ifcfg-eth0 is correct.

If you post he above I can walk you through it.

Edit: Also, open a console and run:

$ lspci

This will list everything on the pci bus including your D-Link nic. Post that line as it will tell you what chipset the nic is using. Here's mine:

02:0d.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

I'm fairly certain it's a realtek chipset(RTL8139) like mine and that uses the driver module 8139too. After commenting out the sis nic in modules.conf, you'll edit your D-Link driver line like so:

alias eth0 8139too

Then we just have to check your ifcfg scripts and get them straight.

Edited by pmpatrick

Post your /etc/modules.conf file. Also, look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. There should be two configuration files there called ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1. Post them both.

Here's your problem. You have two nics and the autoconfiguration tools simply do not work well with two or more nics. Your going to have to do it by hand but it's not hard. Basically, you need to edit modules.conf to delete or comment out the line that loads the sis driver for eth0 and change the line for the other nic from eth1 to eth0 then delete the ifcfg-eth1 file and make sure ifcfg-eth0 is correct.

If you post he above I can walk you through it.

thank you for the reply, I will get right on this when I get home from work :D

thanks again

Mark

here's the modules.conf:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
alias sound-slot-1 snd-emu10k1
alias eth0 sis900
above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
probeall usb-interface usb-ohci

here's the ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes

I didn't see a ifcfg-eth1 (might be cause I just reinstalled mandrake and haven't plugged a ethernet cable into it yet)

Also, I've used the lspci command before, but for some reason it wouldn't let me use it this time.

Any ideas for me to try?

Mark

Edited by mdemers883

Edit the alias eth0 line to:

alias eth0 8139too

I'm fairly certain it's a realtek chipset and that's the right driver. To do that, open a console and run:

$ kdesu kedit /etc/modules.conf

You'll be prompted for your root password after which kedit will open with root privileges displaying modules.conf. Edit the file and save the changes. Close kedit and then the console and reboot. Your ifcfg file looks fine if your using dhcp. On reboot it should work if we have the right driver.

If not, we can delve into your lspci problem, You can try running it as root and see if it works. What error messages do you get when you run it?

Edited by pmpatrick

I configured eth0 as you said, It still failed on boot. I think it may be because eth0 is my onboard SiS900. Here is some output.

[root@localhost root]# lspci
bash: lspci: command not found
[root@localhost root]# ifconfig eth1
eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found
[root@localhost root]# ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

actually, after some thinking I have decided that I will go with Suse9.0 for now since it supports my onboard SiS...although I still prefer mandrake.

I appreciate all the help that I have been getting but the stuff you are having me do is a bit over my head. I understand your instructions but I don't fully understand what I'm doing. I think I just might need some time to play with linux and feel a bit more comfortable with it and I think the only way I am going to be able to do that is with something that will be up and running right after install, that way I can take my time and do some tweaking for myself.

I have already made the first crucial step for myself by blowing away windows. I have to give up this laptop tomorrow so I will not be able to get online to seek help. I will still post at this forum of course because I definately feel is has the best group of people.

I hope you guys aren't going to be mad that I"m giving up on mandrake right now (well I wouldn't really say give up, I hope to try it again in the future when my skills have improved) I'm hoping that sometime soon I will be able to start posting responses to questions instead of asking the questions ;)

Thank you guys for your time and patience as always. I'll keep you guys posted with my progress.

Mark

It's probably the wrong driver. 8139too works with Rev. A,B,C but I think you need a different driver for Rev. D1,D2 at least according to this:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/print.asp?productid=487

But that info looks pretty dated and only refers to 2.2 kernels and the old realtek driver used in the 2.2 kernels..

Eth0 and eth1 are setup in modules.conf. Linux could care less if the nic is onboard or in a pci slot. If you have the right driver for the D-link it should load as eth0.

The lspci thing is baffling and indicates something is screwed up. It should be in /usr/bin; you can check and see if it's there also try running the command as root.

If you want to give mandrake one last try, there may be an easy workaround. Delete your eth0 line from modules.conf. Then go into your bios setup and disable your onboard sis nic. Afterwards, reboot with your cd-1 install disk and as soon as you see the initial screen hit F1 which will take you to a boot prompt. At the prompt type "linux noapic" w/o quotes and hit Enter. The install program should load; you should select the "upgrade" install. Don't select any new packages and mandrake should autoconfigure your hardware. Hopefully it will properly configure your nic. The "noapic" thing was a problem in mdk9.1 and unless you passed that kernel parameter the nic driver would refuse to load on some realtek chipsets.

I'm back, I decided to go with suse for now till I can gain more experience so I will understand what you guys tell me to do rather than just blindly doing it and not understanding the logic behind it. Suse is up and running just fine now, the only prob is my soundcard isn't working, but I'll make a seperate thread for that. Thanks for your assiantace pat.

Mark

The Dlink 530TX+ works fine with Mandrake.

Make sure the onboard controller is disabled (mobo) from BIOS.

Make sure you internet connection is connected to the 530TX+ before you boot or install!!!

If there is a problem with the internet connection, linux boot WILL say eth0 FAILED. It has happened to me with Roadrunner (if the DHCP server goes belly up or something else).

My physical setup is Cable -> Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem -> eth0

Don't forget to turn your cable or whatever modem OFF for 5 minutes to let it reset completely (MAC addy changes with different NIC)!!!!!