Should I expect any problems?

trunks2k

I just got a new laptop that came with Lycoris installed. Lycoris sucks, don't use it. I managed to hose the system after only a couple hours (I tried to update some libraries to get gcc and g++ working, it stopped EVERYTHING from working) so I reinstalled the whole OS. And suddenly the sound won't work anymore, but everything else works A-OK. I think it has to do with Lycoris not probing the hardware correctly *shrug*. After playing around with it for a while, I figured I'll just screw it and go with the original plan of installing Mandrake 9.2 on it.

Because I was having issues with the sound after reinstalling Lycoris, I wanna make sure I won't have any problems with the sound when I install mandrake.

These are the audio specs that came with the laptop:

AC'97 2.1 compliant interface

Compatible with sound blaster pro

Advanced Wavetable Synthesizer

Direct Sound 3d Accelerator

Full-Duplex

Virtual AC3

Should I expect any issues?

Edited by trunks2k

First, what kind of notebook is it?

Second, check out this website for reviews of installing Linux onto Notebooks:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Just look up the manufacturer and the model and there should be several different reviews there. This is the first place that I go when trying to install Linux onto a laptop.

what have you got to lose? if it's a brand new laptop, you aren't going to lose any data--might as well try mandrake and see if you like the way it works on your laptop. 9.2 is working so much better on my laptop than 9.1 did, and i'm really looking forward to 10.0 and the 2.6 kernel.

Another way to check for linux compatibility of certain laptops is to try linux livecds, whether it is knoppix, mandrakemove, or pclinuxos. Usually, it's easier to find whether everything works /or tweakable using livecds before going full pledge and installing them to hd.

Also, just because the name of the company is not known, it doesn't mean that there is no equivalent to check for linux compatibility. Most laptops right now are outsourced to Taiwanese companies (yes, even dell, ibm, and gateway). If you google for information for that laptop, it may tell you the equivalent of that laptop. It maybe equivalent to an asus, ecs, or some other brand. I just searched google for "Element Computer Laptop" and the first site it brings is http://www.tuxmobil.org/element.html (tuxmobil is another great linux for laptop resources). So you may not be out of luck using mandrake in this computer.