Mplayer won't load

saunterer

:wall:

Here's some background information to emphasize how much of a novice I am...Yesterday, for the first time ever, with no linux experience at all (except watching my Dad on RedHat several years ago) I installed Mandrake 9.2 on a blank hard drive. With the help of a Mandrake savvy friend of mine, I was able to get through the installation process with very few bruises along the way. I plan on doing a dual boot with Win2K (my current evil OS) on the master in the future after I get a power supply cable, but that's another story.

Anyhow, I'm running fluxbox right now and when I navigate to mplayer to play a DVD, I click and nothing happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it just does not want to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

another thought..........

i'm not at the Linux box to check the exact place for this, but if you right click on the MPlayer icon/link & choose properties, under one of the property tabs is an option to "run as different user" & "run in terminal". make sure those aren't checked. i had the same problem way back when with MPlayer & somehow my "run as different user" box was checked, which made it run in the background as root when i tried to run it as user & that being the case, the GUI wouldn't come up.

Chris

Setup your sources and do

urpmi libdvdcss

would be my guess. (I have plenty of info and links on my website)

Try to play any other thing with mplayer. A divx/xvid or so. If that also doesn't work, the problem is mplayer related. If it can play everything except a dvd, then do the urpmi command after setting up sources.