Network config file for mandrake 9.2

johnisrip

hey john.. are you behind a fiewall..? do you have your dns setting or gateway ip's set properly ??

Can you tell me or us a few things about how this is all connected..?

Not behind a firewall, other Win98 clients work ok. Don't have one installed on the Linux box. I have a Windows NT4 server, with a router and cable modem. I set the gateway to the IP of the server. But DHCP doesn't work even though I use a known good login for a user account on the server. It worked before using a static IP, but won't now. Hope this helps.

i would make sure your router is working : O) and that you put your dns settings in on the linux box and also the right subnet mask and gateway..

Can you ping the router?

I think there's something wrong with either drakconnect or dhcp in 9.2. If you want to do it manually and give yourself a static IP, there's a few files you'll have to edit.

/etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (if your using ethernet)

/etc/hosts

also check /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/sysconfig/network

/etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

and make sure they match the ones in the /etc/sysconfig tree. Mine didn't and I think that's what my problem was.

I have no clue how a windows server works, but I imagine you'll have to configure that also, so it knows how to find your box.

I will check the files for the information and see if I can make sense out of them. The Windows server works fine as long as you have a user account on the server. So that part of Linux is not a problem. I think the problem with Linux is the config files. I know I have to set up the settings in Windows so my clients will talk. I assume that I will have to do the same in Linux.

John

I went throught a manual installation of the wizard and configured the network manually. When I did, I set up a static IP and everything works even after a reboot to verify it. This seemed to fix it without looking at any of the config files yet. Would be nice to get DHCP working..........

John