Printing to printserver

Witec

Hi, I am a new Mandrake user (and new linux user) and i have a broadband barricade/router which has builtin printserver and Epson stylus photo 870 printer connected to it.

I found following instructions from manufacturers site how to configure print server in linux:

10. Does the print server work under Linux? How do I set it up?

Yes, the Barricade provides Line Printer Daemon.

Users of Linux have to set up /etc/printcap and the queue name is "lp".

The following is an example for Red Hat

Linux release 5.1:

/etc/printcap

hp6p:\

:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p:\

:rm=192.168.123.254:\

:rp=lp:\

:lp=/dev/null:\

:sh:

hp2100:\

:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp2100:\

:rm=192.168.123.253:\

:rp=lp:\

:lp=/dev/null:\

:sh:

So how I am going to do this? I am using Mandrake 9.2

Go into the print set up by launching your browser and typing "localhost:631". Click on "manage printers". Click on "add printer" Enter root as user and the password in order to continue.

Put in name and location and description and click continue. (Only the name is necessary)

Drop down the list and choose LPD/LPR Host or Printer

Use LPD://hostname/que pattern:( lpd://192.168.2.1/lpt1) click continue

Choose the approppriate driver for your printer: Epson, continue, Epson Photo Stylus 870, continue

And your done!!

SMC changed their que to "lpt1", and I found that the IP worked better at the gateway address rather than the 192.168.123.25* addresses.

• 6 months later...
Guest don01756
Go into the print set up by launching your browser and  typing "localhost:631". Click on "manage printers". Click on "add printer" Enter root as user and the password in order to continue.

Put in name and location and description and click continue. (Only the name is necessary)

Drop down the list and choose LPD/LPR Host or Printer

Use LPD://hostname/que pattern:( lpd://192.168.2.1/lpt1) click continue

Choose the approppriate driver for your printer: Epson, continue, Epson Photo Stylus 870, continue

And your done!!

SMC changed their que to "lpt1", and I found that the IP worked better at the gateway address rather than the 192.168.123.25* addresses.

I tried this and the printer won't print. I used lpd://192.168.123.254 as the URL. everything shows up in the queue, but doesn't print. Where can I be going wrong??

Use the gateway address, and not the print que address that they tell you to use. That is a mistake in their faq's.