Server from desktop

Urza9814

Didn't you say that the external IP was connecting to the Belkin configuration page???

If so then it can't be the port 80 blocked...

I would start very simple, turn off the firewall(s) etc. you then need to set the forwarding for the PC you want to be seen as the external IP....

When you type http://localhost in a browser you should connect to the browser.

When you type http://<your'>http://<your internal IP> the same

When you type http://<your external IP> the same

If the last one fails and instead takes you to the router then your port forwarding isn't working.... on the router.

Basically as far as I can tell the simplest way to do this is to just use a simple - single eth0 connection to your router.

Preferably this should be eth0 - If you used the Connection Wiz then its probably eth0:9

You don't want/need pppoe etc. on the Mandrake box, your router should do this for you...

You can set up a static IP on the router for eth0- what this means is its not truly static but it allocates the MAC address of the NIC on the PC the same address every time.

Then you set this using port forwarding or possibly the DMZ option.

Basically as far as I can tell the simplest way to do this is to just use a simple - single eth0 connection to your router.

uh...I have no clue how to do that...I disabeled the firewalls and stuff...and it still doesn't work...and since ur saying it's something with my router...I'm gonna try to figure out how to get that other one working...

What you need to realise is that you only have one REAL IP for however many machines you have.

You have an internal network which should have IP's starting in one of

These are SPECIAL IP's. Routers are designed NOT to route traffic from/to these addresses. Thats why you can use them internally.

So inside your home you have a network and it uses one of these addresses.

However if it want to contact the internet it needs a gateway.

The gateway is your router....

The router has a connection to the real world AND your internal world

It routes traffic from one to the other. In both directions.

So if you send a request to www.google.com the internal machine asks the default DNS server to resoilve this IP. It does and sends back an IP address. It then asks the router to connect to this IP using port 80 (http) .... the router (if not otherwise firewalled corresponds)

So when you go to google it swaps your 'fake' IP for a real one fropm the router. And then the magic takes place....

Becuase it sends it back to the correct Window.....

You can have 10 borwsers open on several machines and magically the answer (web page) appears in the right window.

imagine if you requested google in one and mandrakeusers from another window and they got confused....

They don't becuase the request is tracked back to your internal IP and even browser instance through NAT.

(Clever isn't it)

So connecting from the outside people can only see the 'real' IP address. You router has a webserver running on port 80....

So they see the router....

What you need is for the router to acknowledge it has other 'internal' PC's which have webservers.... and to pass the traffic to them....

This is done through virtual hosts.

i.e the router passes all traffic for a named host to that host. It needs to know the name of that host ... this must be set up on the router ....

otherwise how will it know which machine to send the request to.....

(think about it, its not easy I admit - but when you get it its simple really)

The easy way to do this is to name a virtual host www. Then you need a resolvable DNS name (no-ip or dns.org) etc. now you call a host www in virtual hosts and say your DNS is urza.noip.com then

urza.noip.com will go to the router BUT

www.urza.noip.com will go to your webserver :D

Just type the following and post it back here:

ifconfig

(loads of text)

route

(loads of text)

command not found.

as for the other router...it didn't work...if you think I have to do that, I could probably figure it out...but since my brother was yelling at me...I decided to just set it back...

You need to be root to do ifconfig :D

Anyway, I have a Belkin wireless but its not being used like that right now, I have a dedicated linux box doing my routing :D

However, I will give it a try for ya, possibly tonight....

What you need to do is try and make a sketch of the network, how its connected and stuff. (especially firewalls)

Do you have a firewall running on the linux machine ????

Demanding siblings can be hard :D

If you have a external web page you can use then post a jpeg and stick in a link...

If not I can give you a ftp accout on my server so you can upload it....

Its not that hard really its just confusing....

Its one of those things that once you have it working and can play with you will understand :D

here's my network...I disabled the firewalls on the router and this comp...

www.angelfire.com/electronic2/urza9814slegopage/network.gif

here's that other stuff:

[root@localhost urza9814]# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:A8:89:4B:FE

inet addr:192.168.2.3 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:3287 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:6389 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:1741451 (1.6 Mb) TX bytes:635590 (620.6 Kb)

Interrupt:3 Base address:0x7000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:1509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:90670 (88.5 Kb) TX bytes:90670 (88.5 Kb)

[root@localhost urza9814]# route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

default 192.168.2.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Edited by Urza9814

OK, diagram helps :D

and also the noip.com thing needs a client on your linux box (although I think you might also be able to do this from the router :D)

I tried it and it tells me bad gateway but that might just be the stale DNS cache at work :D

Delete the noip address for now, I have copied it down and as you said earlier the forum is open to everyone..... (although off-topic is members only)

You can always pm it to sdomeone but at the moment it will be pointing to your router.... if you didn't change the default password thats not to good an idea:D