HP vs. Toshiba

FX

HP zd7010us vs the Toshiba P15-S409. The Toshiba wins hands down. I fought for a week to get sound and wireless to work on the HP and didn't get no where. Sound would not work no matter what. Wireless (broadcom) wouldn't even work with the Linuxant Driverloader. I even put in a Netgear pcmcia card and still wouldn't work. So I got upset and mad and whinned alot in chat to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and took it back for a exchange.

The two are pretty much alike in specs. The HP had a P4 2.66, 512 meg ram, 64 meg nVidia 440 card, dvd/cdrw and 60 gig hdd. Sound was i810. The Toshiba is a P4 2.8 w/Hyper Threading, 512 meg ram, 32 meg nVidia 5100 vid, dvd dual format burner and cdrw with a 60 gig hdd. Oh yea the same sound card as the HP, but this one works. For the wireless it has the Arethos card which I am using the Linuxant Driverloader to fire it up.

I do run Fedora which would load fine. MDK loaded but wouldn't use the entire screen. Deb,Knoppix,Mepis,Arch would all installl and download the base, but when it came to download the rest from a net install they would hang. Mepis and Knoppix, just wouldn't install. Now some of that is probably my problem, but I never had any problems before loading any of those distros. (except arch, which I will try here shortly. :) )

I just wanted to post this cause 1. I want to thank the peeps in chat for the help with the HP. 2. I really never was impressed with HP, but for some reason bought that one. 3. I am happy as hell I got the Toshiba. (thanks HJ) 4. I don't post here enough and I should cause most if not all here are helpful as hell, especially in chat. Most of the time I feel like a leech, always asking questions, but most of the time not knowing enough to give back.

FX