Making cd's from iso images

bullseye000

Hi All

I am involved in a study project to compare 2 versions of linux for ease of installation and use. One of the reasons I was chosen to partake is that I am not a Linux user whatsoever. One of the first problems that I encountered was after downloading the iso files from a site mirror we quickly realized that the images for disk 2 and 3 are larger than the 700mb limit on a cdr. Are these images only needed after the install? We did use the checksum utility and all of the images are ok. I've read a lot of posts here and haven't found a satisfying explanation. Any help, guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

K.

What distros are you talking about? Remember 700 mb is not 700,000,000 bytes. I've dl'd and burnt may distros (mdk, debian, suse, mepis, and knoppix) without problems.

Depending on the distro you may only need cd1. I once did a suse and got the rest of my packages from a mirror. So with a bit more info you will probably get all the help you need here, a great site!

A lot of times, the size of the ISO does not accurately reflect the size of the resulting disk. There is not a one-to-one relationship between the size of the ISO and the size of the CD.

Obviously, if you download a 900meg ISO it is not going to fit onto a 700meg CD. However, if the ISO is a little over the 700 mark, it should burn without any problems onto a CD-R.

Which ISO's in particular did you download?

First thing I would say is to actually try burning the images to cd first. I have never encountered a problem with any distro not fitting on to the cd when I tried to write the image.

Also, like mysti and polemicz pointed out, 700MB is not 700,000,000 bytes. 1MB = 1024KB

Sorry not enough info. I followed the links to the ftp mirrors on Mandrakes web site. I checked several different sites to verify the size and they all match. I burned the first cd iso image to a cd and there were no problems. It even autoruns when I put it into a drive. When I tried to burn cd 2 to disk using Nero it reports that the contents of the image will not fit on the cd. I've tried 4 different media types and get the same results. All are 700mb disks. If I don't need the other 2 images I suppose that would be ok. I just didn't know if they were a required part of the install or not.

Nero does indicate that the image is 698mb Duration 79:26:23. The recorder is capable of overburning and the setting is set for 83 minutes of recording and is enabled. It's a Pioneer drive and I would like to think it's up to the task. I've also tried Verbatim, Sony, Maxell, and Memorex media. I don't know how far I can push the overburn before I damage the recorder. That would be a disaster.

Nero does indicate that the image is 698mb Duration 79:26:23. The recorder is capable of overburning and the setting is set for 83 minutes of recording and is enabled. It's a Pioneer drive and I would like to think it's up to the task. I've also tried Verbatim, Sony, Maxell, and Memorex media. I don't know how far I can push the overburn before I damage the recorder. That would be a disaster.

First major question I have reguarding this issue is: Have you set up Nero to accept 700MB disks by default?

If you don't do this, Nero won't let you burn a large ISO as it assumes you only have 650MB disks. Of course, this could have changed. It's been a while since I've used Windows for anything.