• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
Sign in to follow this  
M_R

Need video card recommendation

Hello, I am planning on buying a new video card, but I need recommendations because, last time I bought and used one under Linux was 2004. I remember only Nvidia cards worked back then, and it was hell compiling the kernel with the appropriate nvidia drivers. I'm running Mandriva 2010 and SuSe 11.4, any recommendations? I like Nvidia, by the way.

I prefer NVidia if I was to buy a separate card, otherwise onboard Intel or lastly ATI because of so many problems trying to get them working well enough. Although they seem a little bit better of late than a while back.

I prefer NVidia if I was to buy a separate card, otherwise onboard Intel or lastly ATI because of so many problems trying to get them working well enough. Although they seem a little bit better of late than a while back.

Do you know of any specific models that work for Mandriva 2010?

The store is offering:

* Nvidia GeForce 210

*Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

Would they work?

Best bet is take a look at what cards fit your price range, then go to the Nvidia website for the driver downloads and see if their Linux drivers support the card you are looking to buy. My last Nvidia was bought in 2001 and was a Geforce TI 4400 which is old now, so best checking as I mentioned.

also you can think about for what you need it..office, maybe gaming...although most of those cards are been released for gaming...but it coupd help you since it could narrow the search and maybe save you a few bucks that you could use later :popcorn:

All nvidia cards work in Linux. Their drive software works for all of them.

Look up the card details on wikipedia.

Edited by prost