xmms, gAIM problems

crock

Well, I was just messin around in Mandrake 9.2 and decided it was time to readjust the monitor resolution. It told me to restart X for the changes to take effect. I did so, then got an error about not being able to start a soundserver on startup. I restarted the computer 3 times and was able to get sound back, but now when I try to play an mp3 in xmms, it simply freezes the program. I can work around it and force quit, but thats quite strange. The same thing happens to Totem Media Player. I haven't a clue what I've done. My aRts Sound is set to a 3 second autodelay or whatever that is.

Secondly, now my sounds in gAIM do not work either. What on earth did I do???

I tried both aRts and ALSA output, same thing. I tried uninstalling the ALSA output thing, and the same thing happens. I also tried uninstalling the whole thing alltogether, then reinstalling it, but still it doesen't work? Think I should just cave and reinstall?

Think I should just cave and reinstall?

for sound? Goodness No!

Have you tried rebooting?

Have logged out?

Have you checked that a process isn't defunct, or hung? Do

ps -A

There has to be a reason, or your card is toast.

Have you tried to reconfigure in Harddrake?

I've tried all of that, and the onboard sound works perfectly in XP. So I'm stumped, I've been known to just give up and reinstall for lesser reasons. Its a real shame though, I've got absolutely no clue whats goin on, maybe I'll try uninstalling again...

but if you do the uninstalling, reinstalling loop...you'll never learn anything. thats where linux is fun. have you checked to make sure that your volume in the mixer is not all the way down? and if possible, could you paste the entire error message here so we can get a clear picture of whats up?

Good idea, yea the mixer was the first thing I checked, everything is good there. Gimme a few hours to get you guys the error log (Its 9am EST and I've got class)

Ok I solved the problem with xmms freezing, what I did was uninstalled both arts and ALSA outputs, restarted, then reinstalled the arts output, restarted. Now I'm able to play music in xmms and totem. I still have no sounds in gAIM though, and I've tried every output there is for the sound configuration within gAIM. Maybe I'll try nvaudio as the driver and see whats up (or other drivers).

Also, I'm wondering about the "lag" when I play a song in xmms, I'll press play, and it starts the song, but when I press stop, it continues to play for roughly 2 more seconds even though the song itself has stopped. I adjusted the autodelay in the arts control panel for 1 second, but that didnt help. Is this a buffer issue or am I doing something else wrong?

Edited by crock

UPDATE

Fixed everything but the little lag problem (which I guess I can deal with)

I went into the control center, changed the driver from snd-intel8x0 to i810_audio and restarted the PC. I opened gAIM and sent myself a message, the sound worked, but it was EXTREMELY fast (like fast forewarding a cassette), and after a few messages, the sound stopped alltogether. I went into the control center, changed it back to the snd-intel8x0 and rebooted. I opened gAIM and sent myself another message and VIOLA sound works again, and is working as I type this message.

SO, the only real problem is with my lag situation, which from what I understand, should be solved by setting my arts autodelay to 1 second. That didn't work. We're slowly accomplishing what needs to be done! Thanks to everyone for the ideas and quick responses!!! :D