ICS from an XP machine to mandrake

darkuser

Hello all. I'm not so much a new Linux Mandrake user as I am a Linux home network user. Here are the current problems I'm having. I am running Mandrake 9.2 on one machine as a client. On another machine which is hosting my internet connection I am running windows XP pro. Finally I have another WinXP pro box running as a client. I have both XP machines networked just fine but when I went through the config on mandrake it wouldn't connect to my host machine at all. any Ideas? Thanks a lot everyone and a very nice place you have here :)

I may not be 100% correct here, but I have believe that the M$ WinXP ICS is not really a true proxy. I have never been sucessful at getting any of my machines to connect to the ICS server. On the other hand, I have been using NetProxy, a commercial application on my WinXP box with Mdk 9.2 as a client. Additionally I am using my Mdk machine as a proxy to the WinXP. Our NetProxy license is for only three machines. On those rare occasions when more than three are needed, all the other lower use Windows boxes are directed to the mdk box. It works, though the access speed is really slow for those surfing through the mdk->winXP connection.

1) welcome to the board ;)

B) I assume you're using an ehternet cable for the connection (not wirless), so do you know what kind of network card your mandrake system has? When you boot, does it attempt to start the network connection and fail?

my suggestion is to configure it with a static IP (don't use DHCP) and set the DNS servers by hand. You should be able to do it pretty simply through Mandrake Control Center

sorry guys i madea mistake the 2 topics sounded very familuar and i got mixed up.. sorry :woops:

also i hear there are bugs with the server im more than willing to lend my server at no cost or any thing.. it is a p4 2.6gig with one 80gig sata hard drive 512mb ram plenty of storage and power im just useing it as a ftp/webserver

• 4 weeks later...