Conflicts with 2.6 and 2.4

I've been wondering about whether or not to go for 2.6 now that it's in stable release, but I have heard that the setup involves some configs that might confilct with a 2.4 installation. Obviously, I'd still want to use 2.4 until I had 2.6 up and running without problems, so I would need them to happily co-exist with each other.

Are there any issues with compatability?

issues?

conflicts?

whaa?

Links?

lm_sensors is all I can think of and supposedly can be made to work.

Sure if you truely go 2.6 by using udev/sysfs insead of devfs you may have de3vice setup issues. D/k what they could be though. I'm not having any issues.

I have had both coexisting for months, all the way since test3. however i am on debian. But you should have no problems as the new modutils (includes modprobe and them) is still compatible with the older 2.4 kernel.

You got nothing to lose by trying, so long as you keep 2.4 in lilo in case 2.6 barfs.

Cool - my only concern was that if there were conflicts then I might be left with a dodgy 2.6 and a broken 2.4 - but it doesn't sound like that's the case

Cool. I did read something about conflicts regarding ALSA - anyone using ALSA and 2.6 able to confirm/deny this?

alsa is included in 2.6 :thumbs: ....about time! No, no prob here. You still obviously need utils and libs but not the alsa-driver.rpm. They're in the kernel. Oh, the 0.9.7 or whatever, I think, hmm have to look when I get home.....but how do ya know? In the kernel docs? So I guess if you have 1.0.0 or whatever for utils and libs there could be a prob. Someone that has looked into this will have to comment until I can dig.