Burning 9.2 ISOs

G'afternoon,

I have a Compaq Presario 2100US Laptop that I want turn into a dual-boot system. When I'm burning the first 9.2 ISO, is it to be burned onto a bootable CD? I've tried burning the CD, and my system completely ignores it and goes to Windows XP. I have changed the boot order with no luck. I figure it's something about how I've made the CD. I'm going to try reburning the CD as slow as possible as suggested elsewhere in the forum. Before I do this, am I supposed to create a bootable CD to burn the ISO onto? I'm using Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic. I admit that I've burned few CDs in my lifetime.

I appreciate your help.

Jeff

when you're trying to burn in windows, does your software have the option to "burn image" or "burn image file?"

edit: you can download the windows xp powertoys from microsoft.com, and afaik, they come with an iso burner.

Edited by fissy

Did you get this solved? If not...

Yeah, use the 'Record CD from CD image' option. Instead of copying the ISO to CD, it will burn the files inside the ISO to the CD.

This should give you a bootable CD that you can use.

One question though: when you downloaded the CD, did you do a md5 check on it to ensure that it was not corrupted? The absolute worse thing you can do is to go through all of this only to find out the ISO was damaged during download. (If you do a search, there should be several posts about performing an md5 checksum on windows.)

Edited by fuzzylizard

:D I had a very similar problem whilst trying to create a dual boot XP/linux system. I HAD used the "burn CD from image" option when creating the cd's but something wasn't quite right because when I tried to install it said that the cd wasn't a Mandrake installation CD, but the file structure on the cd seemed to be ok.

The Solution ( if you have the space ):

Copy the contents of the cd's into one of your windows directories (I copied cd's one and two, maybe just CD one will work, I don't know)

Stick in a blank floppy and go to the directory dosutils. Chose rawwritewin and click the browse button next to where it says cdimage.img

Go to the Images folder and select the hard disk image instead of the cd image, it's called hd.img

This will create a boot floppy that looks on your hard drive for the files instead of the CD.

Reboot the system and with a bit of luck it will install ok.

Never eat anything bigger than your head.

:D I had a very similar problem whilst trying to create a dual boot XP/linux system.  I HAD used the "burn CD from image" option when creating the cd's but something wasn't quite right because when I tried to install it said that the cd wasn't a Mandrake installation CD, but the file structure on the cd seemed to be ok.

this suggests a bad download which is the reason why the md5sum should be checked first before burning an installation cd.

ciao!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is a bad disc download. Instead, he stated that he copied the .iso file to the disc, which is why it isn't booting.

If you create the disc from an image (or in Nero, try Burn CD Image), it should work just fine. I made this mistake in the past as well. It is a common rookie mistake to make.

Vejita