motherboards

didier__973

I'm pretty sure that the ASUS A7N8X-X would be compatible, but you would need to download drivers from NVidia after installation (and I would pick the model that doesn't have the extra X on the end of it...that means it is lacking features).

I'm using the A7V600. It will install fine (unless you are using a SATA drive), but will not have dma until you upgrade the kernel to a later 2.4.x kernel and hardware raid is not supported. From what I've heard, the SATA controller will work with the 2.4.x-marcelo kernel and/or with the 2.6 kernels, but still no hardware raid. I have no SATA drive to be certain. Onboard LAN works fine with updated drivers downloaded from Asus (not the Linux drivers on the disk), but once again, I have no other Gigabit LAN computer, so I don't know if it operates at full capacity.

What is the 'Son' and 'Son 5.1' you are referring to? Onboard sound? If so, I don't think the onboard sound works on the a7v600 either.

ASRock K7VT2: works well, except for power down in mandrake. It can take up to an Athlon XP2400 266 FSB Max of 2 GB RAM, etiher DDR266 or PC133 (supports high density PC133). I love that mobo, and need to get another one, for Win98SE box. Has ATA133 controller, AC'97 sound and LAN. Plays nice with real Sound Blaster cards.

Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee: Real Sweet with Mandrake. Downside is that it does not play nice with Real Soundblaster cards. Comes with Thiz Linux 6.0. Mandrake actually turns the power off with this one (that IS a first for me!). Supports up to Athlon XP 3000+ 333 FSB, and max of 4 GB of DDR333. 8X AGP 3.0 slot, and 6 PCI slots. I stumbled across this one on eBay.

Both of the above have 6 USB 2.0, sound, LAN, and ATA133.