Mandrake as a domain controller

johanl

Hey,

I would like to know some more about using Samba/Linux as a domain controller. I hope someone has some experience with that here. What can Samba do at the moment, only act as a NT4 domain controller or also as a Win2000 Active Directory domain?

Is it very hard to setup Samba for a purpose like that? The clients we have are NT4/2000/XP pc's.

samba can't be an active directory server as of this moment (wait for 4.0 afaik), but it can do pretty much everything else, including be part of a domain with an active directory server.

i suggest you go to the samba homepage, they have the using samba book for download there, that should be a good place to look. O' Reilly sell it so it should be good :)

Hi,

OK, first of all, you need to read the documentation at www.samba-tng.org. Then download the package and follow the documentation.

Samba-TNG is a replacement for an NT PDC. It still only supports x86 architecture, but most systems out there are x86. :D

Some useful links:

Download site: http://download.samba-tng.org/tng/

Documentation site: http://www.samba-tng.org/docs.html

At present, it does not support:

WINS replication

File locking

File ACL support

But apart from that, it is complete.

Hope this is of some help

Nikon