Control Center Mirror and Evolution Upgrade

Guest saberworks

Guest saberworks

Hello,

New to Mandrake (using 9), having a bit of trouble in the control center. I went to software 'update' and it asked me to choose a mirror. I chose the first one in the US on the list and it found a bunch of software I want to update. But it only works on about half of the entries, the other half say "this cannot be selected." So I'm thinking it's not on the mirror. Is there a way to change what mirror I originally selected? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and what about an updated Ximian Evolution? The one installed is 1.0xx something, but the current one is 1.2. I don't see it in the available packages, what is the best way to upgrade it to 1.2? Thanks again!

saberworks

Guest saberworks
add the mirror to your sources and you should be able to download and install the new version with rpmdrake

Please tell me what you mean by this. Also, should I use something called 'rpmdrake' instead of the Mandrake Control Center then "Update" ? Thanks again!

Open the Software Sources Mgr. and choose add. If you can't find it, in a terminal type

su

<enter root password>

/usr/sbin/edit-urpm-sources.pl

or just

edit-urpm-sources.pl

this is for 9.0, and I don't know if it's diff in whatever version you have, so look in /usr/sbin if it doesn't work.

Also, should I use something called 'rpmdrake' instead of the Mandrake Control Center then "Update" ?
Same thing. If you look in /usr/sbin, MandrakeUpdate is a symlink to rpmdrake. There, you'll also find
[root@localhost bvc9]# which XFdrake

/usr/sbin/XFdrake

[root@localhost bvc9]# which mousedrake

/usr/sbin/mousedrake

[root@localhost bvc9]#

These are the same tools in the Mandrake Control Center being called from a ui. You can call them from a terminal as well.

As far as upgrading evolution? There's a lot of dependencies. It would be much easier with urpmi, but you'd have to set it up with sources as well. Makes it a lot easier in the long run though.

Guest saberworks

Please help, something is seriously busted.

I went to the sources manager and tried adding a new source. All it does now (for every mirror) is say:

"Unable to update medium, it will be automatically disabled."

Then, when I try clicking 'Mandrake Update' it says "can I get a list of mirrors" then I say "Yes" then it downloads, but I don't see the new mirror I just added. Then, no matter which mirror I choose, it always says, "There was an error while adding the update medium via urpmi. This may be due to a broken or temporary unavailable mirror, or when your Mandrake Linux version (9.0) is not yet / no more supported by Mandrake Linux Official Updates. Do you want to try another mirror?"

I choose yes and I've tried every mirror on the list. Please help!

Guest saberworks

What do I put when it asks relative path to synthesis/hdlist?

I removed the two files there and rebuilt the db, but when I try to add the new source, it still tells me unable to add medium, it will be automatically disabled.

Guest saberworks

I finally got it to see the mirror, but every time I select some packages to install, it says "Everything is already installed! (Is this supposed to happen, ever?)" <-- what's up with that!? argh :( My first experiences with Mandrake were much better than with RH, but damn, I'm running into the exact same problems I was with RH - the package managers never work correctly, EVER!

Unfortunately you're right, they don't work al that well, sometimes yes, usually no. What you want is urpmi. It's very dependable and hasn't failed the few times I've used it. The best part is it tells you exactly what's happening. It is run from a terminal but it works.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4

You can also find good info and source sites if you search the board/s with the word urpmi. This one and

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/

Guest saberworks

Hi,

Thanks again for the information. Well I got the security updates to download and I got the packages installed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to update Ximian Evolution, because it doesn't show up on the packages list. The new mirror that someone suggested above always causes an error when I try to add it to the sources (unable to update medium). So... Well I guess I can use the old one for now and tackle this later. Thanks again.

Open a terminal and su as root as explained above and copy and paste this into the terminal and press Enter. To copy=highlight and paste=put mouse at the prompt and press either the mousewheel button, thumb button, or with no wheel press the 2 buttons at the same time.

urpmi.addmedia Texstar ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ndrake/9.0/rpms with ./hdlist.cz

If this works, you won't ever use rpmdrake to upgrade pkgs til it works this good :wink:

When it's done

urpmi evolution

There has been a time or 2 that urpmi required ME to urpme (remove/uninstall) a pkg before it would download and install. Also, keep in mind that if this is the only mirror/site you add as a source, and it doesn't have the other pkgs required for the upgrade, and they're not in your sources IT WILL say everything already installed. So you need a few good mirrors with a lot of pkgs to sucessfully upgrade pkgs.

I have as sources

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributi....0/contrib/RPMS with ./synthesis.hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia PLF ftp://ftp.delonic.biz/pub/plf/9.0 with ./hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia TexContrib ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ake/9.0/contrib with ./hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia cooker ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake-dev...r/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia Texstar ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...ndrake/9.0/rpms with ./hdlist.cz

Here's a good search engine for rpms

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3