kde update the easy way - konstruct

pmpatrick

In my recent aimless wanderings through the net I came across this app, konstruct, which is suppose to automagically download, compile and install the most recent version of kde for you. You can also get the unstable version if you want to install 3.2 beta. The nice thing is it's suppose to leave your current kde install alone so you can go back to it if you don't like what you see. Here's a link:

http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/

Anybody tried it? If so, what do you think.

the Konstruct app does look cool, from a KDE user perspective. i downloaded the .tar file, but i have a question maybe somebody can answer.

where do you untar the package to & how do you install it afterwards? there is a readme file in the tar, but it has no instructions for installation. also, there are no .install or .config files in the tar. so, i'm a bit stumped. i have the app, but have no idea how to put it to use (IE: install it). also, there isn't a FAQ or HELP section on the Konstruct website (at least that i could find).

any help would be appreciated.

Chris

You can untar the file where ever you want to, since the script will install kde into ~/kde . It does come with an install readme file giving installation instructions.

Im running it now in a consol, its still compiling after two hours. Will post when its finished, and let you know if it works.

thanks for the info Anon.......umm.....Kernow...... (that's sounds almost Klingon :P )

so, i can just untar it to, say, /opt ? and, where did you find the install readme? i only saw a readme in the main directory, but i didn't see anything in it that had install instructions. could that be because i didn't actually untar it per se, i cheated & just used ARK to see what the contents were? and, 2 plus hours to compile it???!!!! yowza.....

i'll check back later for your update & give it a whirl tonight should your review be positive.

Chris

From my gentoo experience compiling kde is something that will take more than a couple hours even on a fast machine; I think it was more like five hours on my p4 2.53GHZ IIRC.. If I have time I'll try running overnight sometime this weekend. At least it will be source compiled so you won't have any rpm issues.

compiling kde is something that will take more than a couple hours even on a fast machine

DOH!!! :blink:

i thought he meant it was taking hours to compile Konstruct. it makes sense now! :lol:

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

hopefully the admin people are watching this-but it might be a good idea to make certain threads "sticky" - or put the contents of certain threads in a big FAQ. that would be very useful - i'm noticing that same kind of questions are being posted again and again.

just my 2 euros.