Broadcom BCM4313 WiFi not working

boatman9

I have a laptop computer with a built in Broadcom BCM4313 WiFi card. I have installed Mandriva 2010.2.

Here is output from "lspci -nn | grep 14e4"

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

According to this there is a Linux driver, but the WiFi is not yet operational. What can I do to fix it?

You could attempt using ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers. Your model isn't listed on the ndiswrapper website, but that's not to say it won't work.

More info here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ndiswrapper/index.php?title=Main_Page

From the link you posted, where does it say that the wireless is not active? To me it looks like it could work, I don't see anywhere that the wireless doesn't work. Unless I'm blind :) but I read the README and it seems your card will work.

It should be working, but it's not, and I don't know how to fix it. I can tell WiFi is not working because my WiFi status light is orange, not blue. Some people here got it working, and I've posted my question there as well.

The Broadcom WiFi device appears in lshw output but is unclaimed, I suppose that "UNCLAIMED" means its driver has not been loaded.

*-network UNCLAIMED
               description: Network controller
               product: Broadcom Corporation
               vendor: Broadcom Corporation
               physical id: 0
               bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
               version: 01
               width: 64 bits
               clock: 33MHz
               capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
               configuration: latency=0
               resources: memory:f0100000-f0103fff

Maybe there are some module conflicts, I remember when reading the info, that you have to unload some modules, before you modprobe the new module that you compiled for your wireless device. Perhaps this is why it's unclaimed and unusable? Can you confirm?

The firmware would be required for sure. Is that a 64 bit windows you have? No access to a 32 bit one?

You could always write to them about your particular card, maybe they would be able to suggest something to get it working for you?

I have 64-bit Windows 7, however the driver (presumably with firmware) seems to be 32-bit. When Mandriva is booted the Windows driver is located at

/media/win_d/Windows/System32/drivers/BCMWL664.SYS

I downloaded the latest Kubuntu 64-bit Natty alpha 3 live CD. Using that I was able to get the BCM4313 WiFi device working, but first I had to download a driver by going to System / Additional Drivers.

I opened a Mandriva bug report and progress is being made. I am confident the BCM4313 can be made to work in Mandriva.

Ndiswrapper is a real pain on back..I had this same issue , my device was broadcom 4727.

so I think you have to enable 3rd party repos and install

1.i installed dkms-broadcom-wl (kernel module for broadcom wirless adapters)

2.broadcom-wl-kernel-2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb

3.I uninstalled nidswrapper (this is important)

4.reboot

5.choose desktop-2.6.33.7

6.configured wifi network from MCC

7.Done!!!Smile